Chapter Twenty-three

Start from the beginning

The Fulani attire worn by the two brides.

At the beginning of the event, they were covered with large,thick Fulani veils(as in the picture) with their faces inclusive until Mummy, Umma and some few other relatives posing as grooms' people paid some amount of money.

Thereafter, the two iyayen rufi (maternal aunts) sprayed perfume on the two brides and all their friends after which Fateema and Ameenah (their second cousin) were asked to uncover the faces of the two brides respectively, much to their relief most especially Iman who kept complaining to Walida who was seated right next to her that she was suffocating in a not-so hushed tone.

From then,the ceremony moved swiftly as the caterers served each and everyone with food,snacks,drinks and desserts in a well-organised manner while the D J played the wedding song performed by Ali Jita for the brides and groom.

Thereafter, the dance session began which was also in an orderly manner.Batches after batches were called upon to dance with the two brides and despite the so-called ban on spraying of money, lots and lots of crisp mints were sprayed.

The friends of the brides were the last batch the M.C called upon after all the family and relatives' dances and they dominated the whole dance session as they danced and danced and danced until the M.C cut in so as the next item on her agenda can kick off,much to Safiyyah's chagrin cos she couldn't just get tired of dancing shoki and Girgiza.

The photo session was also a smooth, well coordinated one as the professional photographer George Okoro was the one who covered the event. The comedian who graced the event didn't fail to crack funny jokes during the photo session so as to make the pictures even livelier with everyone either smiling or laughing in the shots.

All in all,the Kamu was indeed a very successful affair--so well-organised and beautiful most especially the perfect timing in which salat time was wisely avoided.They ensured that it was done and over with before Maghrib salat time unlike most weddings where everyone is too engrossed in celebrations and merrymaking to remember to go and pray.

The next day was wedding fatiha for the men and Yinin biki  (ceremonial sitting) for the women. At 11:30am on the dot,Mahmud and Walida were joined together in matrimony in the same mosque he was joined with Iman over two months ago .

The two brides looked out-of-this-world in their aso ebi (uniform clothes) of ivory and gold flowy dresses with golden heads , veils and matching gold jewelry set.Walida had paired Iman's outfit with golden stiletto heels but when she (Iman) saw that Walida was settling for a flat covershoe cos of her leg problem, she adamantly insisted she must wear flats too and so both of them wore Christian Louboutin's golden flat shoes with matching clutches.

The Darain make up artist had done a marvelous job on their faces and so they both looked breathtakingly beautiful and smelled wonderful with all the dukhan and perfs they washed themselves in.

Everyone couldn't take their eyes off them,most especially the groom himself who came in looking as handsome as ever in his cream colored attire to match theirs.He was completely dumbstruck and awed when he saw them and he just couldn't get his eyes to look elsewhere, marvelling at the sheer beauty in them.

Most especially Iman cos he was indeed shocked at the complete transformation in her unlike Walida whom he was used to seeing all decked up.In fact when his eyes first fell on her,he didn't know when his mouth fell agape such that his teaseful cousin-cum-wife laughingly asked him to close it before flies fill it up.