Daryl and Cancer

(Set at the prison in season 4)

Warning: Sadness. Some cussing. Ages 13+

Summary: You were crying in your cell because you were dying of cancer. Daryl already knows. He was thinking about when he found out you had cancer. He missed your laugh. You had died when he woke up. Daryl couldn't kill you. Rick had to do it.

Daryl's P.O.V

"Daryl!" I woke up to Y/n's screams. I jumped out of my bed with my buck knife and ran to her cell. I was panting like a dog examining her shaking body. "What's wrong? You hurt? What happened?" She looked up with tears streaming down her face. "Daryl, I can't feel my leg, I'm dying. I have had cancer for about 4 months now. I'm sorry I never told you. I could handle it before but now with all the stress, it is catching up to me." Tears threatened to slip from my eyes. "I've known, sunshine. I've known." She covered her face and cried. I walked up to her bed and sat near her lifeless feet. "Do you want me to get Rick and Hershel?" She shook her head. "No. I don't anyone else to know. Only Lori knew. My secret died with her. I don't want to put this weight on anybody else." I wrapped my arms around her waist and leaned my head on her shoulder. My cheek was pressed on her defined collarbone. Her skin was soft and pale, I don't want to let her go. I didn't because I love her.

I shifted to sleep next to her. I wasn't gonna' leave her alone tonight. My legs were on the left side of her. Me head was resting on her heavily breathing chest. My tears were staining her chest. My heavy arms were under and over her waist. There was no talking for the hour. I was listening to her barely punctuated heart beat. She was still crying but very softly. I wanted to tell her so bad, but there was no right timing for this kind of thing. I realized what I just said. There's no right timing. "I love you." She didn't respond. I wasn't worried though. I knew that if she did pass she would know how I felt. I will never take back those words. Her heart was still racing. She didn't stop crying.

Flashback

I was walking to go see Y/n. I have been gone for about 2 days on a run. I have missed her so bad. All I can think of is her. I walked to her small cell expecting to hear her laughter like always. My heart dropped. She was crying. "I can't live with this anymore. Lori, I don't know how to deal with this. Cancer was easy when there were doctors. I don't know when I'm gonna' die. I'm a ticking time bomb! I don't want anyone to know about this. Don't tell them, please." I felt the tears drip down my horrified face. I wanted to run but I was frozen. I heard Lori's footsteps and I darted. I wanted to run out of this mess. I didn't want to miss the love of my life. I couldn't go 2 days without her. I will go crazy without hearing her voice. I ran back to my cell and cried for what seemed like hours. I couldn't face her right now. I couldn't tell her that I know. She would act different. I don't want to miss her laughter.

End of flashback

My flashback ended due to the sudden stop of crying. I looked up to see her looking down at me with her dull, glossy eyes. Her voice was now very raspy. "I love you, Daryl Dixon. I always have and always will." I leaned up and pecked her blue lips. My head was placed back on her chest. Her heart rate had slowed down. I looked back up to see her closing her eyes. I did the same, we both needed some sleep. I was trying to think of her laughter. I couldn't think of it. Now that I thought about it, I haven't heard it in a while.

Flashback

"Y/n! I got a surprise! Come here!" I walked into our shared tent back at the farm. "Y/n?" I started to panic. I left for 30 minutes to go get a chocolate bar she had been wanting for a few days. I stepped out of the tent to go search for her. Before I got to far, I heard leaves crunching behind me. I stopped in my tracks and smiled. I slowly turned around to see Y/n trying to scare me. When she saw my eyes she jumped with her hands up. "I was supposed to scare you! Not the other way around!" I laughed and pulled her in for a hug. She giggled and wrapped her arms around my waist with her face buried in my chest. "I got you that chocolate bar you wanted. Snickers, right?" She jumped backwards in shock. "Really? I was just teasin' you, but thanks!"

End of flashback

I opened my heavy eyes to hear no heart beat. I looked up and saw her white face. Her lips were now bright blue. She was gone, just like that. She had slipped right through my fingertips. The tears I had been holding back had just been let go. I held her small body knowing what I had to do. I didn't want to just yet. My tears were now flowing freely down my face. I stood up wiping my face. I picked up my knife ready for what I had to do. "Come on. Stop cryin'." I was trying to ready myself to do it but couldn't. I looked at her perfect face. It was discolored but still as beautiful as ever. "Come on!" I raised my arm to impact her skull. I dropped my knife and sank to the floor. I knew I was a wimp. I did this kind of stuff all day, every day. But I couldn't do it to her. I couldn't hurt a hair on her head. Living or dead.

I walked out of the lifeless cell to be faced with Rick. "What happened? She alright?" I leaned my head into his shoulder just like I had done with Y/n. I cried while he held my head. "I can't do it, Rick. I can't do it. You have to. If I go back in there... I won't be able to do it." He nodded and let go of my head. He walked into her cell. There was a pause for about 30 seconds. I heard the inevitable sound of the knife sinking into her head. I felt my happiness leave with her soul.

Rick walked out and nodded. "I'll tell everyone in the morning. They don't need to know what happened but I need to know. Just for safety." I wiped my face again and breathed in. "Y/n has had cancer for a few months now. She called me to her cell because she was dying. She just passed away." He wiped his eyes and slowly walked with his head hung low. "That's a shame." I walked back to my cell and laid down. "I miss you already. Goodnight, sunshine." I fell asleep feeling exhausted and tired. I knew I was never going to be the same without her.