Chapter 23

So this is it. This is the last chapter and I couldn't be sadder to write it! It's been amazing writing for you guys and reading your reviews and comments. I've loved watching this story grow, even if it's grown as a baby. I'm sad to say goodbye to this world, and the character of Alice Winchester, but I've still got the epilogue left to write! I'm putting this at the beginning because I don't want it to end with an author's note... so just know I'll be back for a cute little closing epilogue and then I'm off to planning more fics. Thank you to all of you who vote, kudos, and comment on every chapter, whether you're reading from Tumblr, 1DFF, Wattpad or ao3. Thank you to my proofreader and to my best friend Charlotte for coming up with some of the most brilliant lines of the story ("You'll always have a home with me." That one is purely her.) Thank you. - KM

~

A MONTH LATER

Harry pulls up to their old flat and gets out of the car, walking up and sticking the key in the lock. He unlocks it and walks in, as though it was his own house.

He shuts the door behind him and closes his eyes. He inhales. The house still smells nothing like home. He opens his eyes, expecting to see the same empty room he'd been coming to, but instead Louis is standing there.

He jumps as Louis watches him with fear in his eyes.

"What are you doing here?" Harry whispers. He puts his keys in the pocket of his jacket and steps forward. Louis looks down. His hands are placed in the pockets of his denim jacket, his black skinny jeans clinging to his legs, and his eyes focused on his Van-covered toes. His mouth is dry, and when he looks up, he can't look at Harry.

"I always thought you'd come back," he sighs. "I've kept coming here, waiting to see you. To apologize."

Harry's eyebrows press together. "What?"

"I'm sorry," Louis says. His bright, sky blue coloured eyes meet Harry's for a second, but quickly focus on something else.

"For what?" Harry asks quietly. He steps forward again, but only to sit with his legs crossed on the floor.

Louis stands still, leaning against the wall. "For waiting so long."

"To what?"

Louis' mouth parts a little, and he shakes his head. He looks back down at his feet, and then directly at Harry. "Eleanor... didn't leave me because she got mad at me," he says quietly. "She left me because of you."

"What did I do to you?" Harry says. He's still afraid to laugh or raise his voice, as though doing so would scare Louis away or someone was listening. He waits patiently for Louis to gather himself to answer.

"Right," he sighs. "You didn't do anything. I did. I did it all and I'm so sorry. When Eleanor left, she gave me a reason. She was doing it because she cared. She said... she said she was leaving because she knew I still loved you. She said she didn't want to keep fighting for my love. She said she wanted me to go find you and tell you how I felt, because she realized she was the second choice. Eleanor left me because she said I still loved you. I tried to deny it, and prove to her I loved her, but then... then I kind of realized she was right."

Harry looks at him. "Is this a joke to you? I don't believe you."

Louis' eyes press shut and he takes in a breath. "I'm not joking to you. I'm trying not to hurt you."

"Well, hurt me you did."

"I know I did. I'm trying to fix that."

"Why?"

Louis looks at him. "I came to your house and told you I missed you," he says, completely re-routing the topic at hand. "I was trying to ask for your forgiveness. I know I didn't deserve it, but Eleanor made me realize I really did love you and I needed to tell you that and have you back. That's why I went to your house. I realized I was just... in love, but I was confused with who. You didn't understand. You thought you were the second choice."