Chapter Nine

Note: Wow, this was a bit longer than I usually make it. *grins* Some development and smexy times here. Hopefully it doesn't get privated. Enjoy!

There was something wrong with Calum

Michael could tell by the awkward fidgeting that he was doing with his fingers, and the nervous bouncing of his heel that was slowly driving the blonde crazy. He had adjusted his dark-rimmed glasses about three times in the last two minutes. It was maddening.

"Cal, what's wrong?" he asked the older boy, placing a hand on Calum's shoulder.

The senior's eyebrows pulled together as he bit his lip to form a look that could only be described as 'contemplative'.

"It's nothing, Michael," he mumbled deeply, purposely avoiding eye contact with his boyfriend.

The action made Michael uncomfortable.

The two of them had been dating for nearly three months now, and Calum had never acted like this. Sure, he was a nervous wreck a lot of the time, but that was usually just a product of his naturally introverted nature. He never purposely avoided Michael, and now it felt that he was. To put it plainly, it hurt the younger boy's feelings.

"Fine," he replied petulantly, moving to stuff his binder and scattered papers into his backpack.

"Where are you going?" Calum asked, confused by the sudden change in Michael's behavior.

"I'm going to hang out with my friends," the blonde quipped, zipping his backpack up roughly.

He nearly broke the zipper's teeth with how forcefully he had pulled on the material.

"Why?"

Michael frowned.

"Because there's obviously something on your mind and you don't wanna talk about it. So, I'm going to hang with Luke and Ashton instead of feeling like shit because you won't tell me what's going on," he bit out, sniffling slightly.

Fuck. He hated getting emotional. He did not deal well with negative vibes. Before he could leave, though, Calum stood and latched onto his arm.

"Michael. Wait," he pleaded lowly, frowning when he noticed the tiny tears beginning to pool at the edge of Michael's eyes. "Don't be angry."

The junior nearly stomped his foot like a petulant child, choosing to cross his arms across his chest instead.

"Then, tell me what's going on with you!" he replied just a bit too loudly, earning him a sharp shush from the elderly librarian – who couldn't even see them, mind you.

Michael ignored her, staring Calum down with a piercing emerald gaze. The older boy shifted uncomfortably, breaking eye contact to stare at the ground forlornly. The junior sighed, frustrated with his boyfriend's silence. He did not understand what he could be hiding that would cause him to act this way.