Nap Time

After Lucy had finished eating she went to her room and struggled to change out of the pajama shorts and t-shirt she had been wearing for the past few days. Gross? Well yes, but how could you blame her, it was painful just to be awake, changing was just extra pain she didn't need. After getting dressed she got ready to leave to the doctors, Lockwood called a cab and helped Lucy into the car, climbing in after her. When they got there the doctor unwrapped her leg and examined her wound. The bullet had hit at a weird angle, cutting along her inner thigh, she was lucky it hadn't scraped the other leg as well.

"Hm. It doesn't seem to be healing but it's not infected either. Try to stand without your crutch." Lucy glanced down at the torn flesh and uneasily stood up, pain shot through her leg and she fell to the side, George caught her and helped her sit back down.

"I can't. It hurts to much."

"It's torn deeper than I initially thought. It will take longer to heal than I hoped it would."

"How long? Is there anything we can do to lessen the pain or make it heal faster? Anything at all?" Lockwood asked.

"It will take a month or more depending on if the wound gets infected or not, I can prescribe pain killers to make it a bit easier. She just needs to stay off her leg and rest, make sure you change the bandages at least once a day. Alright, Ms. Carlyle?" The doctor gave a reassuring smile, but it was nothing compared to Lockwood's radiant smiles, but lately, he wouldn't smile as bright or as often.

The doctor gave them prescription painkillers for Lucy, they called a cab and were back to the house by one o'clock. Lucy went upstairs and changed into a clean pair of pajamas then went back downstairs and down to her desk. She sat down and looked at the pictures she had drawn earlier.

'No, Lucy. That's not the way it's going to be.' The words repeated in her head at least ten times a day ever since it had happened, a scene of how it happened played when she shut her eyes. Anyone would have saved their colleague from ghost lock, but the way he did it, he had grabbed her by the waist and whispered into her ear, now George, he would have pulled her by the arm and slapped her in the face. Lucy grabbed one of the magazines that Lockwood was always reading and flipped through the pages trying to stop thinking about that terrible night.

After hours of doing nothing, in particular, Lucy heard someone swishing a sword around in the other room, she got up and went to see who it was, it was Lockwood. He was pacing around Floating Joe cutting complex patterns in the dummy's chest.

"Hello there Luce." He said when he finally noticed her watching, he put his rapier away and walked over to her. "You must be very bored not being able to do anything."

"More than you could imagine."

"Would you like to go upstairs and have some tea and cookies?"

"That would be nice." They went upstairs and Lockwood made tea and set a tray of cookies on the table. They sipped tea and munched cookies and soon George joined them, they chatted until the tea went cold. Everyone went about their business, everyone but Lucy.

She sat in the kitchen doing absolutely nothing until George came to make dinner, she begged him to let her help so he did, they made beef stew and Lucy baked a loaf of bread that turned out perfectly adequate at best. Lucy placed the bread on a plate and cut it into slices, then set it on the table along with three bowls of stew then George called for Lockwood and sat down and began eating.

Lockwood came in after a few minutes and sat down, they ate and talked as they always did, the conversion was boring as ever. With no cases to talk about and with how Lockwood hated talking about the past (especially his personal past) there was little to talk about.

After dinner, Lucy went to the sitting room and sat on the couch to read for a while but soon after she started reading she fell asleep sitting up. At some point in time while Lucy was asleep Lockwood came in and sat near the armrest on the couch, instead of his chair. The change in weight on the couch caused Lucy to fall into Lockwood, her head landing on his shoulder, but she didn't wake up.

"Lucy. Wake up for a second." Lockwood gave her arm a light shake and her eyes fluttered open. "Lucy you need to go to bed."

"I'm not walking upstairs just to go back to sleep." She mumbled, rubbing her eyes in that adorable way she did when it was late and she was tired or when it was early and she wanted to go back to sleep.

"You at least need to lay down."

"The couch isn't big enough for me to lay down and you to sit on it too."

"You can lay your head on my lap."

"Wouldn't that be weird?"

"Not at all."

"Okay." Lucy reluctantly laid down and softly laid her head on Lockwood's leg, not the most comfortable pillow but it was nice nonetheless. In just a few minutes Lucy fell back into a deep sleep.