Part 13

It took a few seconds for any of them to be able to move. Andie meant to step forwards, but Bane held out an arm to stop her. They all watched in silence as Bane cautiously took a few steps towards Zarias. Andie noticed he really didn't look well. It almost seemed surreal. His body arched so he could jump back at any sign of danger, Bane carefully reached out and felt Zarias's pulse.

"Do demons even have a pulse?" Andie heard Jessica whisper behind her, before being shushed by Emily. "What? I'm just asking."

"Is he... dead?" Isabelle asked.

Bane was silent a few seconds, then shook his head.

"No... He's alive..." he told them, straightening up. "But he looks rather badly injured."

"I'll help you bring him inside..." Andie said.

She began to move towards Bane, but Jessica stopped her.

"Uh, hello? Are you all crazy? It's Zarias! The prince of demons who tried to kill us?"

"We know that." Bane said. "But we're not doing anything until he wakes up. Are we clear?"

The girls nodded, though Jessica did so reluctantly.

"Don't say I didn't warn you," she grumbled.

Andie resisted the urge to roll her eyes. She helped Bane heave Zarias carefully off the ground and onto the pile of mats in the corner. These were used when Andie and the others were working on their mediation. Balon insisted it was essential to mastering their powers. And, just as importantly, avoiding letting your emotions overpower you. Andie pulled off her jacket and slid it under Zarias's head.

They all stared at him uncertainly. What had happened to him? And of all people, why would he come to them for help?

"What are we going to do with him?" Emily asked.

"Wait until he comes around," Bane answered with a firm look in Jessica's direction. "But it would be better to always have someone stand guard until he does. Just in case."

"Agreed," Andie said, nodding.

"Should Isabelle heal him?" Emily asked.

"I don't know if I can heal him," Isabelle replied with a frown. "I mean, humans are one thing... But this is a demon..."

She paused, glancing at Zarias uncertainly.

"Your call, Isabelle," Bane said.

Jessica began to interject, but Andie silenced her sharply. It was unfair to influence Isabelle one way or the other. They all watched as she pondered her decision, glancing at Zarias every so often. Andie found herself looking too. He definitely looked less threatening like this... After a moment, she turned to her friends and said:

"Get me some water."

They almost always had a bottle in their bag, so it only took a moment to get Isabelle what she wanted. She took the water, uncapped the bottle and sat gingerly beside Zarias on the edge of the mats. Then, using the water, she proceeded to healing Zarias's wounds. At first, Andie thought it wasn't working. The wounds weren't healing. But a moment later, they began slowly fading away. Zarias let out a sigh as his body relaxed. Isabelle quickly stepped away.

They all watched anxiously to see if he woke up. But he didn't.

"So what do we do now?" Isabelle asked.

"We keep an eye on him and see what he has to say," Andie said. "After that, we'll see how it goes. All in favor?"

Bane, Isabelle and Emily raised their hands with her. But Jessica deliberately crossed her arms over her chest.