Part 24

Zarias was slightly startled by the activity in the room as he followed Isabelle. He'd never dined with Zorak, who'd always claimed to prefer eating alone.

I suppose I understand why, now... demons don't eat human food, so I would have noticed something... he told himself.

Isabelle led the way to the living room table, which was bustling with cheerful conversation. Robert and Andie were putting strange boxes out in between them all.

"That's what the food comes in," Adrianna said, catching his eyes.

"With Chinese takeout, anyway," Isabelle added. "Pizzas, which are Italian in origin, would come in square, flat boxes."

"I'm not sure he's ready for your culinary expertise, yet, Izzy," Bane teased. "Come on, have a seat, you'll like it."

Awkwardly, Zarias sat beside Isabelle on a chair. It was one thing to watch from a distance, but actually being with Isabelle and the others was quite different. They didn't seem to mind his presence at all, contrary to his expectations. They talked animatedly, but never aggressively, despite several cheeky comments that, rather than anger them, seemed to make them laugh.

"Hey, Zarias," Isabelle said. "Are you with us?"

He was so caught up in his thoughts he started slightly.

"Sorry?"

"I was asking if you could pass me the soy sauce, please." she said.

For a few seconds, Zarias wasn't quite sure he'd understood her. It was formulated like a request, not a command. And he'd never known anything but orders...

"Oh, uh... this? Here..." he said, handing her the small bottle.

"Thanks," she said as she took it, smiling cautiously at him.

Zarias caught Isabelle and Adrianna glancing briefly at each other, but they smiled and moved to something else.

"Yeah, I guess you don't hear much politeness in the Demon Realm, huh?" Jessica asked.

"Jess!" Adrianna chided.

"No, it's all right," Zarias said, setting his strangely plain glass goblet down. "She has a point."

He looked at Jessica.

"No, you're right. My father – or should I say Zorak – usually ordered rather than asked."

There was a silence.

"What was it like? Growing up with him?" Isabelle asked.

Zarias considered the question.

"... I expect it's not the kind of upbringing I would have had with my birth parents," he finally said. "But I suppose it had its good and bad things, like everything else's."

"Do you have any memories of them at all?" Robert asked. "Your real family?"

"None," Zarias said, shaking his head.

"Zorak must have taken you when you were a baby, then..." Adrianna reasoned thoughtfully. "Are you sure you don't want to... look for them?"

Zarias nodded.

"What I don't get, though," Isabelle commented, "is why would he keep mementos of people he never met? I mean... if it had been Bane's mother, it would have been one thing, but..."

"That is a good question..." Emily agreed with a frown. "Any ideas, Zarias?"

"Perhaps it was with me when he took me. It's possible he put it away and forgot about it..."