Chapter 5

Prim starts to rise and approaches Haymitch. She's trying to help him get on his feet, but her arms are small and frail. I stand and haul Haymitch up. He's green in the face, and I'm just hoping he doesn't throw up again.

"Lets get him in the bath," I tell Prim, heaving Haymitch on my shoulder. He's not that heavy compared to three sacks of flour.

"Okay," Prim responds, trying to be respectful around the drunkard. Prim follows me as I drag Haymitch to his room.

I start to strip Haymitch of his clothes as Prim stares. I can see that she's very uncomfortable.

"Prim, it's okay," I assure her. "I can take care of him. You can leave if you want."

"Thank you," She says quietly as she steps around me to leave the room.

Oh Haymitch, I think to myself as I drop him into the bath. Are you really going to be able to help us in the arena? The arena. I realize that there's only about a week left until I'm thrown to my iminate death. And it will be televised for everyone of Panem to see. Everyone I know will watch me die. A steady flow of panic floods my thoughts and I try to shake them away and focus on scrubbing down Haymitch.

When I finally finish with Haymitch's bath, I reluctantly force him to his bed. I hurl him onto the king sized bed and let out a heavy sigh as I leave his room.

I continue to walk until I approach my room. I now bath myself, messing with the Capitol's fancy shower. There are many buttons, and I click them all until simply get hit water. That's a luxury only the richest members of twelve can have. Afterwards, I step out and change into a simple green t-shirt and black shorts. I cross over to my bed and it's not until my head hits the pillow that I realize how exhausted I am. Before fatigue pulls me under, I think of Katniss. How her hair falls perfectly, how her grey eyes can hold me in a trap. Her eyes are the only signs of emotion I can ever see in Katniss. I should have talked to her. I wish I could've worked up the courage.....

The horn sounds and I run towards the woods. I don't turn back. I can't afford to. I try to climb a tree, but fail miserably. I crash to the ground as a muscular child approaches me. I can feel myself dropping to the ground, the life slowly draining from my eyes.

I wake up screaming in horror, drenched in sweat. I scan my room and see that I'm safe. For now. It was just a dream I coax to myself. It's not real. But soon enough, it will be. I sit up and rub my eyes, still in a daze. I can feel a tear running down my cheek as the door to my room suddenly slides open.

"Peeta? Are you okay?" Prim rushes into the room and sits by my side.

"Yeah. Sorry if I woke you up," I apologize to her.

"What's wrong?" She asks me with curiosity.

"Just a bad dream that got the best of me," I don't like admitting this to Prim, but she looks at me with sympathetic eyes.

"It's okay. I understand. The games are coming so fast and-" She comes to a stop and I can see the blood draining from her gentle, concerned face.

"It's okay," I tell her and I put my hand on her back. She abruptly looks up at me, as if in defense. But she allows me to rub her back when she knows I'm trying to comfort her. We sit on my bed in silence, both of us wrapped up in our own thoughts.

"Prim," I start to say something to her, but I see that she's fallen asleep on my shoulder. Poor Prim. I guess I'm not the only one on this train having nightmares. I lift her up into my arms, careful not to wake her, and carry her into her room. I tuck her in her bed and exit quietly, closing her door behind me.