Chapter 1

I wake up in a cold sweat. I look around and see that I'm safe and at home, in my family's home/bakery. Not in the arena. I get out of bed, and shuffle down the stairs. It's Reaping Day, and everyone is a bundle of nerves. Parents losing their children in a fight to the death by force. Being in that situation yourself. Just the very thought of that ever happening to me makes me panic. I walk to the oven by my father. I pull out what was once a big pile of dough to what is now a warm loaf of bread. As I cross to the table to start cutting the loaf into slices, something outside catches my eye.

Katniss Everdeen. I can see that she has been hunting, she's holding 3 squirrels in her hands. I smile to myself, and focus now on the bread in front of me. I cut it into even slices, and put them on display. As I reach the display case for our baked goods, I lean in to try and catch a glimpse of Katniss walking by. Suddenly, my head is smacking the glass.

"Nice one," my brother Samson chuckles. "You know there's glass there, right?"

"Yeah," I say, rubbing my head. "I'm just a little.. distracted. I guess."

"Come on, Peeta. Are you really letting The Reaping get to you? You haven't been picked for 3 years, what makes you think you will now?"

I glare at him. He doesn't know how I feel. He's 19 now, so he can't be chosen. I guess he's right, though. But it's not just me I'm worried about. I worry for Katniss. She has a reputation in District 12 for having a mind of her own, being strong, and being an amazing hunter. But I bet she has signed up for the tesserae, which puts her name in The Reaping more than it should. I know she can hunt and defend herself, but what if she was chosen? How would she compare to the 23 other people in the arena, who would surely be prepared? I shake my head and go back upstairs to change into my nicer clothes. It's an unspoken rule of Reaping Day to look nice. Well, as nice as you can afford. I pull on my sky blue button down, and a pair of grey trousers. I slick back my shaggy blonde hair, and go downstairs to meet with the rest of my family.

"You look nice, Peeta," my father compliments. He's been more of a parent to me than mother. Of course I love her and she does, too, but she shows it in a.. harmful way. Hitting me if I do something as simple as burning bread...which has happened.

"Thank you, father," I mumble.

My mind starts to wander back to when I took a painful beating over burnt bread, but my thoughts are interrupted by the sound that summons everyone to the square for The Reaping.

I trudge along the gravel path and approach the sign in table, where peacekeepers wait to take a sample of my blood. As my finger is being pricked, I turn at the sound of a scream.

Prim. It's obvious she had been crying. Suddenly Katniss is at her side, soothing her in a hushed, calm voice. I'm still staring in her direction  as Katniss meets my gaze. I instantly whip my head in another direction, embarrassed she noticed me staring at her. Once the peacekeepers clear me to proceed, I take my place with the other older boys and see Gale mouthing to Katniss. I respect Gale, for keeping Katniss safe all of these years, but envy how close they are. I wish I was close to her,  I think as I turn my gaze towards the stage-like area, where Effie Trinket starts her annual speech.

~Hey guys! This will be a fan fiction about Peeta and Prim in the arena together from Peeta's POV. I hope you enjoy :)~