Obsession Chapter 15

Start from the beginning

I quickly got out of the bed as well, and went up to the window. Her bedroom had the view of the street instead of the backyard, as mine did. Of course I couldn't hear anything, but I watched as mom stormed across the street and up to Matt's car, banging her fist on the window to gain his attention. He jumped at the sight of her and rolled the window down. I could see how he tried to explain something over her yelling, but she wouldn't listen. Anyway, it all ended with him driving off. 

Mom came back into the bedroom with a satisfied grin, pretending to dust off her hands. 

"Well, now that's done and over with, at least." 

I smiled. 

"Thanks, mom", I said gratefully, and gave her a tight hug. 

"You know you'll have to deal with him sooner or later, right?" she said, hugging me back. 

"Yeah", I sighed, "but not right now." 

We went downstairs together to eat dinner. Since neither of us felt like cooking, , I just took out some leftover lasagna from the freezer and put it in the microwave for a couple of minutes. We ate in silence. 

"So", she said when both of us were done. "You're getting serious with Cain?" 

I smiled nervously. 

"I think so. I like him very much", I admitted. 

"Well I'm glad, as long as he treats you right." 

"He does, mom. He's great." 

"Then I've got no problems with him staying over, if you guys use protection", she shrugged. 

"Mom!" I exclaimed, blushing furiously. 

"What?" she defended. "I'm just saying you should be careful. I know he's been here a lot, and spending several nights in your bed. Something is bound to happen, eventually anyway." Several nights? At least she didn't know all the details of my life - Cain spent almost every night in my bed nowadays, with very few exceptions. 

"We are being careful, mom", I assured her, probably looking more like a beetroot than anything else while at it. I could talk about stuff like this with people my own age, nemo problemo, but with my mom it was just awkward. 

"You do the dishes, mom, and I'll take out the trash." 

She studied the pile of porcelain with a skeptical face and said: 

"Well, it's time you learn then, isn't it? You'll have to do it by yourself every night when I'm gone. I'm eighteen, mom - I'll be off to college soon." I hope, anyway - I'll have to get in somewhere first. That reminds me - I'll have to do a little homework tonight, maybe look over the french verbs one last time, just to be sure. "I'll be right back", I added and went out the front door. 

The night was quiet around me, except for the chirping of a few crickets hiding somewhere in the grass. The only light to go by were the dim ones of the streetlamps illuminating the road. (A\/N: wow - awkward sentence... )  

I felt watched as I crossed the lawn, and hastened my steps. The eerie feeling I got reminded me of that night I'd walked home from Rose's, and the face of that creepy stranger came to mind. What was his name again? Troy? Trey? Trey! I shuddered and pulled the sleeves of my shirt from my elbows down to my wrists, as if trying to protect myself from a cold, non-existing wind. 

I finally reached the trashcans out by the road and dumped the bag into it, wiping my hands on my jeans after I'd put the lid back on. Yuck. It smelled disgusting. 

I nearly jogged back towards the house, and was half-way there when a heavy hand gripped my shoulder tightly. I jumped, letting out a terrified little shriek, which was cut short when I turned to find myself face to face with the Devil himself.