Chapter Seven: A One lucky strike

Emma’s POV

I sat in a hut thinking. How was I to take part in a tournament with one of my arms bandaged up? It’s not going to be just one or two matches either. It’s like an event that takes place every year and I and Zana had happened to show up two days before it.

I couldn’t believe our rotten luck, why did this have to happen to us? We don’t have time for this but since Zana is hurt I have no choice. Her life is more important than anything else and well I just have to hope I don’t die and if I do at least I’ve died trying.

I’m just going to have to try my best in hope that my will to continue to the end will give me an advantage in this tournament but all the people I’m up against are male, I also hope that may help me to convince some of them to go easy on me but that’s probably unlikely to happen.

I’m happy that I still have my sword fighting hand but that isn’t going to be much help considering I would not have a shield and I suck at sword fighting, Zana should be doing this not me but she is hurt and that’s why I’m doing this anyway.

Someone entered the hut and clearly hadn’t expected to find me in here. He looked quite young maybe only ten with brown messy hair and green eyes with a hint of grey with baggy clothes.

“Dagan sorry but I’ll guest is using this hut right now. We are staying with Kevin. I’m sorry about my son,” spoke a woman who had followed the young boy into the hut. The child had a few of the same features as his mother and they both had the same coloured hair and eyes but she didn’t have any grey to her bright green eyes. I looked at her noticing the lovely dress she wore.

“It’s no problem, clearly he didn’t know. I’m Emma,” I smiled.

  “I’m Lucy and this is my son, Dagan. Maybe I ask why you are fighting in the tournament?” she asked me.

“The truth is Dag asked me to take part as me and my friend entered the village for some water but he doesn’t trust us. He said if I did one thing he would let us go and well I accepted to do it if he looked after Zana as one of his men hit her with an arrow and she needs rest to recover. That is why I am here,” I told her.

“Oh I see. I understand that. We’ll be going now, good luck Emma,” she smiled before she left with her son.

I smiled even after they left because I felt good being wished luck because I knew I would need it.

Van’s POV

I stood nearby the village watching. I couldn’t interfere, if anyone found out I had done anything to help Zana and Emma more then I should I would be in major trouble but watching Emma in this situation I couldn’t help but wonder how she would get out of such a mess.

Zana was hurt but Dag had stuck to his word and is looking after her which is a good thing. I knew Emma and Zana weren’t up to this job and this clearly proves it. If I don’t help Emma out I think she will die in the tournament. What am I going to do?

I shook my head ashamed what I was about to do and entered the village, Emma and Zana will owe me.

Emma’s POV

I stood near the arena set up for the village for the tournament. My heart pounded against my chest, my whole body felt numb from how scared I actually felt doing this. I held my sword in my right hand and my left arm was still bandaged up.

One of Dig’s men looked at it and explained that it is broken and has given me something for pain and I have to wait for it to heal naturally. I had hoped I could have used my left arm for a shield but that is impossible with a broken arm it would hurt too much. I’m worried not to just the fact of my arm. It’s the fact as much as I hate men thinking they are stronger then woman, its the fact that they are probably right about it too.

I’m the only girl in this tournament and everyone is going to expect me to lose on the first round and I think I’m going to lose on the first round too. If I’m lucky I’ll walk away slightly hurt but if I’m unlucky I might end up dead.

I took a deep breath in and out before someone came up behind me. I turned around to find it was Dagan. “Hey Dagan,” I smiled to him.

“You remember me,” he grinned.

“Of course I do,” I grinned back at him.

“I wanted to come and wish you luck. Also most of the competitives are strong built but they can fall quite easy. Keep your skills hidden don’t use them straight of, let them come to you and strike when they least expect it. Maybe take a few hits so its looks like your weak but then surprise them all,” he said to me.

“How do you know all that?” I asked him.

“I’m a lot smarter than most people I am. I read a lot and my father use to take part in a lot of tournaments and he taught me a lot,” he smiled to me. I kneeled down in front of him.

“Thank you Dagan.”

“Anything for you, Emma you’re the one I’m sure of it,” he said before he walked away. I got back to my feet and waited beside all the other contestants. I noticed some of them eyeing me up and a few whispered but I ignored them. I wouldn’t let them mess with my mind, not even before I had my first match.

A few matches took place before mine. I watched in horror as I saw men being brought back badly hurt and one of them even dead. I saw people running forward crying over there dead family member or friend. I looked away as I couldn’t watch it. I thought of my father and my brother and how I would feel if I ever lost them.

How could someone take another’s life like that, why did they have to kill him? No one can replace that man in that families heart again and its like they didn’t even care one little bit.

“Next up, Gary with our only girl contestant Emma!” shouted Dag. The crowd cheered us on. I walked through the other contestants and I entered the arena right behind my opponent. I wanted to run away now. Why did I get stuck with one of the gigantic guys ever?

 He stood in the middle and I stood in the middle a little far away from him, waiting for Dag to say we could start to fight. I took a deep breath in wondering if I would ever get out of this arena alive. Would I ever see my family again?

“You may begin!” shouted Dag.

The man charged forward and I tried to remember what Dagan had said to me but it had all vanished. I stepped aside as he swung his sword at me and missed. I moved my feet backwards as he came forward and then I dodged to the left again so his sword missed me.

I saw an opening, he wasn’t protecting a part of his stomach and I took my chance striking him with my sword. I heard everyone fall silent and I watched as my opponent collapsed to the floor and I found blood on my sword. The whole crowd burst into cheers of surprise and someone of them actually sounded happy too.

“I am very happy to say Emma goes through to the next round!” shouted Dag. I looked at him and he winked at me. I smirked at him before I walked out of the arena knowing my opponent would be fine it wasn’t a very deep cut however I would say it was a one lucky strike.

--------------------------

Ok so this is short but oh well.

I hope you liked it guys

Don't forget to vote and comment if you like it guys it mean a lot CHEERS :P