Chapter Four: Fair enough you win

Zana’s POV

Emma took the lead but I stood right behind her with the sword at the ready. We have been at this for nearly two hours straight and I can no longer feel my feet anymore as they’re so numb. I didn’t blame Emma though. She is right about giving the boy the benefit of the doubt. He had found that shelter and it would have felt horrible taking that away from him.

“Zana your quiet,” said Emma in front of me.

“Yeah sorry just thinking,” I told her.

“I’m beginning to wonder if there is only one shelter,” Emma laughed. I laughed along with her until Emma stopped and I crashed into her. I walked back a bit and looked at her.

“What is wrong?”

“Shelter,” she pointed. I followed her finger to find her pointing at a tree house up high.

“Up there,” I said annoyed.

“We have to try,” Emma said. I nodded my head to agree with her. I held the sword at the ready as she led the way towards the tree knowing someone could already have the shelter and watching out for any surprise attacks. After our first encounter of that boy we sort of expect someone else to jump out at us any time soon.

“Zana when I say go now charge towards the tree. Pass me the sword,” I said to her.

“What....?” I asked confused.

“Trust me,” I said. I nodded and gave her the sword. I stayed were I stood as Emma headed forward. I watched as two girls charged at Emma. “Zana go now!” she shouted.

I panicked it looked like she was in trouble but I did what Emma had asked me and ran towards the tree. I began to climb up it as fast as I could. I reached the top as I heard Emma scream. I found plenty of weapons and grabbed a sword.

I looked down to see they had cornered Emma and they had taken her sword. I saw Emma’s arm was bleeding too. The two girls had long blond hair and blue eyes with the same features, they had to be twins.

I climbed down the tree on the other side so they didn’t see me. I took a slow approach around the back of them making sure at all times I wasn’t spotted. As I got close enough I heard them speaking.

“You thought you could take our shelter. You’re so foolish,” one of them laughed.

“Am I really?” asked Emma as she saw me and winked. I grinned back before I approached them from behind I quickly took my chance chucking the sword in my hand to Emma and tripping up the two girls. They went crashing down landing on the wet mud below. I grabbed one of their swords and kicked the other one away.

“I’m sorry but we’re tired hungry and wet. We need shelter,” I said.

“What about us?” asked one of girls.

“We could share...if you are willing too,” said Emma.

Both of the girls nodded. At last shelter! I went over to Emma. “Is your arm alright?” I asked her.

“It’ll be fine,” she told me. I nodded before we headed over to the tree. We began to climb up it but as Emma tried to I saw her wince and stopped.

“Emma?” I said concerned.

“My arm....its hurts too much to climb,” she said with a worried expression. I think this is the first time I’ve seen Emma so worried about anything.  How could Emma get up to a tree house when she can’t climb? After everything we had just did we still have no shelter?