SonicXShadow Your Rock

Shadow had never been one to cry, let alone in public. Thinking of Maria and the purpose he was created for drew no tears, only sadness and misery. The closest to crying Shadow had ever gotten was a shine in his eyes that suggested tears and a quiver to his voice you had to focus on to hear.
Shadow stood near enough to Sonic's picnic blanket to see them, but far enough away to remain a stranger. He looked up at the pale blue sky in contempt. The moon was visible, and only served to yank at the vicious memories and feelings of sorrow that clogged Shadow's heart.
A sudden voice broke Shadow out of his trance, though to an outsider it didn't look like it.
"Hey Shad." Sonic greeted.
Shadow simply nodded, not looking at the blue blur. Sonic walked a bit closer to Shadow, a steaming mug in hand.
"Don't you wanna eat?" Sonic asked.
"I ate before I came." Shadow coldly responded.
Sonic's ears perked up. A change in Shadow's tone, one Sonic knew all too well.
Shadow flinched as he felt pressure applied on his right leg. He looked down at it, only to find Sonic sitting beside him. He didn't look up at the ultimate lifeform, instead gazing up at the moon.
Before Shadow could tell Sonic to leave, the blue hedgehog sighed and closed his eyes, smiling.
"It's okay to be sad. No one expects you to get over it." Sonic said, a hush to his voice.
"What are you talking about?" Shadow asked, almost hostile.
"Maria." Sonic looked up at Shadow.
His eyes weren't full of sorrow or pity. Much to Shadow's surprise, Sonic's gaze was pure understanding. An emotion alien to Shadow washed over him. It was pleasant.
"It's okay, you don't have to talk about it. I didn't want to either."
Shadow blinked and tilted his head. He never expected Sonic of all people to have experienced loss.
"What?" The softness of Shadow's voice made Sonic's smile even softer.
"You know, my dad fought in the great war. He won a lot of battles. But...there was one he couldn't win."
Sonic looked back up at the moon.
"My Uncle Chuck saved my Dad's life by turing him into a robot. But when he and Mom found me again, after so many years of them being gone, Dad wanted to be flesh and blood. Just for me.
"But there was a problem, Shadow. A big one. He had forgotten how bad his injuries were. The doctors weren't ready. And now he's gone. Because of me." Sonic had tears dripping down his cheeks now, landing on his lap and missing his mug.
"All you get after a loss is pity. Pity that just makes your heart burn and your soul ache. All I needed was someone to tell me I was going to be fine. Someone to lean on and whine to. I needed a rock."
Sonic looked up at Shadow, who had been clinging to his every word.
"My rock was my Mom. I'd like to be your rock." Sonic finished.
Shadow was at a loss for words. Throughout his entire story, Sonic had kept his smile. His eyes lacked regret or remorse, instead bleeding understanding and a desire Shadow couldn't identify.
Shadow slowly uncrossed his arms. He looked down at his shoes and shrugged. He opened his mouth to speak, but closed it as the words left him.
Sonic stood up and lifted his mug towards Shadow. He wiped his tears and let his smile grow.
"Here, it's hot chocolate. Mom makes it for me." Sonic handed Shadow the mug and slowly walked back to the picnic. He rejoined his friends, who had no idea about his and Shadow's conversation.
Shadow stood and stared at the mug of hot, steamy chocolate. It smelled really good. It somehow reminded him of the ARK, the doctor and his coffee, Maria and her warm milk. Shadow took a sip.
He smiled and laughed under his breath. He'd have to find out how Sonic's Mom made it.