Chapter 6.1

Mary never liked escorting the king outside of the castle grounds. Not only did it present more danger, it reminded her of the divide between the commoners and the ruling nobles. A divide she had crossed years ago, but now felt she straddled, especially in the presence of the king. 

As they marched through the streets toward the courthouse in almost parade form, Mary felt her eyepatch itch but resisted the urge to rub it, because as captain of the Knights of the Dragon she needed to present herself as the essence of dignity. Everyone seemed to look for fault with the sole female knight, especially now that Satchel had died and she had taken his place. She missed the man, and news of his death had taken her out of commission for a day while she shed private tears.

"Keep an eye on those hooded men," Reginald told her. He then nudged her. "But only one eye, eh." He chuckled, his face crinkling up. Mary rolled her eye and pushed him away. A good fighter, certainly, but things get awkward as a younger woman giving commands to the more experienced man. Luckily, he didn't treat her any worse than the occasional teasing. Others wouldn't even talk to her.

Seeing the mixture of rich merchants and homeless children lining the streets left a bitter taste in her mouth. It made her feel guilty for escaping the streets, for finding a mentor in Satchel, who took her under his wing and practically became the father she never had. Why had he chosen her of all people, despite her gender? Why didn't the rest of these beggars get chosen, get lifted out of the sewers? As a judge, even a warrior judge, she had to stay fair and impartial. But she couldn't feel that way, knowing she didn't deserve her post, even if she had earned it. 

The nobles had it easier. They were born to their positions and never questioned how they got there. They felt like they deserved it.

But Mary kept her internal conflict on the inside, not letting it touch her face. Can't let people see you weak. Faith in the Knights of the Dragon had dropped since Satchel's death, and recruiting the elf Mars hadn't instilled more confidence, even in her. He trained with them, worked with them, but so far, no one had broken into his mind, no one knew his thoughts, secrets, and motivations. Without the camaraderie and trust, functioning as a team would take double the effort. And take more of a toll on Mary. 

"Notice how Alveen keeps his distance from Mars?" Mary asked Storm, the closest thing she had to a partner. He just grunted in response. Almost as impassive as the elf, Storm seemed to carry a great weight in his eyes, masked superficially by a strange spiky haircut, his blond hair sticking out in several directions. He dragged his signature sword behind him, a four foot long by one foot wide blade that required great strength just to lift, let alone wield. At first glance, it seemed Storm could do neither, but she had seen him in action and felt glad she could trust him. Trust gained over several years, which she feared would have to repeat itself with Mars. 

After walking through the streets, they arrived at the high court, one of the three biggest buildings in the city, after the castle and the arena stadium. The circular black building had a dome topping it and eight spires connected to the outer walls. Definitely the most intimidating structure in the city, a place of inescapable judgment and justice. 

High Judge Brekham reigned here, with King George only entering as a guest and ally of justice. The judges interpreted, reconciled, and enforced the law, while the king, along with the rest of the nobility, created the laws and controlled foreign relations, including the military. 

Before entering, another of her knights, the youngest one, Peter, came running out. He saluted her. "Dame Mary, the building is secured. The king and his retinue may now enter."

She nodded at the idealistic young man. He had talent, both in fighting and magic, but didn't have the experience yet. But he did job enthusiastically, which made her smile. On the inside, of course.