Childhood Friends

"Hey."

"Hey..."

"Hey Justin, wake up!"

Justin

I heard the sweet smooth voice of a familiar girl trying to wake me up. I opened my eyes to meet with her red ones gazing down upon me.

When my eyes adjusted to the light, I could make out who the person was. It was my friend, Mia. A girl that I met one day when I was strolling down the street, buying some food using some money I stole out of someone's pocket. She was lost and getting bullied by a few children when I started to hear her cry. When I approached them, I saw her getting cornered by a bunch of older kids that were bullying her because she was an outsider or something along those lines. I stood up for her and beat some bullies in the process and got beaten myself. It was thanks to an older shop owner that happened to be passing by that we were able to leave that encounter not harmed any further. And from that day on, we became friends.

I raised my chest and looked at her while still a little sleepy, wiping my eyes and yawning while preparing to lie back down in bed.

"Good morning, sleepyhead!" She said happily.

"Good... Morning. What time is it?" I asked.

"5:30!" She replied.

"What? Why did you wake me up this early?" I asked, still feeling sleepy and annoyed that I was woken up this early.

"I usually wake up this early. Anyway, wanna go play?" She asked me.

Why does she think that an 8-year old like me would wake up and decide to go out and play at 5:30? Before I could answer her, I drifted back to sleep on the bed. Before I went entirely unconscious, I was able to hear "Ugh! All my efforts have gone to waste! But... wait a second... Okay then! What a great idea!"

An hour later, I started getting ready to wake up properly and leave the house for work. And by work, I mean asking shop owners if they have some errands to run in exchange for money, and if not, steal some out of unsuspecting people's pockets. I opened my eyes and looked around — no sign of the redhead anywhere.

Suddenly, I felt movement and heard groans coming from my right-hand side, next to me in my own bed.
I looked next to me and noticed a familiar short red hair. 'Oh my god... Why?'

She opened her eyes and smiled when she saw me staring at her as she slept beside me, not paying attention to the fact that I am no adult, and neither is she.

"Good morning!" She said.

I jumped out of bed out of shock as to what just happened. Although it is not a first, it is surprising every single time.

"WHY ARE YOU IN MY BED?!" I asked, yelling at the top of my lungs.

"You're so cute when you're asleep. I decided to sleep next to you since you will not wake up. And so I decided I won't waste my efforts trying to wake you up." She explained.

"Well, I'm awake now..." I replied, rolling my eyes and following that with a sigh.

She immediately jumped out of bed and used her wings to thrust her way to me, tackling me to the ground. I was pushed down on the ground with sheer force, with her on top of me.

"Totally forgot you're a succubus." I said in a bored tone.

"And a vampire!" She said happily.

"What? I never knew about that." I said in the same bored and tired tone, which is obviously a sarcastic reply.

"Well, now, you know!" She chuckled, playing into the sarcasm with feigned ignorance.

I raised my chest, implying that I want her to get off me. She jumped off of my body and tucked her wings back under her clothes.