Chapter thirty four.

It had felt like forever since I woke up this morning and I dreaded going to school. I knew that when I left, I would miss it. But right now, I didn't. I was yawning in History and nearly falling asleep. It had been a long week with Jace's many failed attempts at trying to talk to me. He would try to talk to me on the bus, in the courtyard, the cafeteria and in the classes we had together.

I knew that when he would stop trying to talk to me, I would miss it. I would miss being sarcastic with him, I would miss his face light up when he thought I would talk back. But I think I would be glad when he stopped this stupid game. I was honestly tired of playing and I just wanted the school semester to end.

It was a Friday afternoon and school was almost over for the week and when that bell rung, I would be jumping for joy and out of the classroom faster than anybody. Gwen was sitting beside me and she looked more bored than I did.

Just when I thought time couldn't go any slower, the bell finally rung. Like I said, I was out of that classroom faster than anybody with Gwen trailing behind me. We left the school until I heard my name being called. Gwen and I both spun around to see Jace catching up to us.

"Go." I pulled Gwen towards the bus, but Jace was a fast runner and he stopped us in our tracks.

Jace stood before me, looking at me with those eyes of his. He smiled, looking quite pleased with himself. "Hey."

I glanced at Gwen, who gave him a glare. "Hi." I said with a confused look on my face.

He looked at Gwen, who still glared at him. "And this is the part in the conversation where you say 'hey, Jace. What's up?'"

I could tell he was trying to reenact the time he asked me to my first carnival. Gwen laughed in his face. "You're dreaming if you think I would ever talk to you," Gwen rolled her eyes as she turned to me, "I'll meet you on the bus."

I didn't want Gwen to leave me alone with Jace again. Jace's eyes met mine and I felt everything. "So, the carnival is open late tonight and I was wondering if you wanted to go with me?"

I remembered when he first asked me to the carnival. It was a night to remember and I would always remember it even though it was a lie. "Um, I don't think so. I have other plans that don't involve me hanging out with you."

I walked away, but Jace followed. "Oh, come on! There will be games, Ferris wheels, food."

I nodded. "I know, I've been to one before."

"Great," Jace said, "then maybe you'd like to go again."

I approached the bus and before getting inside, I turned to face Jace who was beside me. "The last time I went to a carnival, it was a disaster!" I exclaimed, my sarcasm showing. "The food was dry, the Ferris wheel made me feel sick and the people were just plain rude! Honestly, I wouldn't go back to one, I had a terrible time."

And with those words lingering around in the air, I hopped onto the bus just before the driver closed the doors. Jace was standing frozen in his place, blinking a few times to register what I just said. I looked away and I couldn't believe that I had said that. Of course it was all a lie. I enjoyed my time with him at the carnival even though it was part of his little game.

I found Gwen near the back and sat beside her with a smile. Gwen nudged me, grinning. "What happened?"

"I'm winning," I told her, "and it feels pretty good." Maybe I was lying about that too.

*

I was lying on my bed, writing a short story. I was typing away on my laptop when my phone dinged beside me and as I glanced at it, my eyes widened. It was a message from Alex on Facebook Messenger. We were friends on Facebook, but we never really talked. I opened the message and read it. I didn't know what to say because I literally just declined Jace's offer.