~ 20 ~

Happily I sign myself out after three hours of check up and x-rays. I sprint out of the hospital and inhale the fresh air, smiling foolishly.

I’m free! I screamed in my head.

Free from all those awful balance hospital foods, free from needles in my arm, free from being treated as a child and free from two idiots who argues all day long on who’s turn to look after me.

Yes, I was free to do whatever I want again and this time nothing will hold me back to fulfil what I was sent here to do.

“What do you want to do first?” Arvin asks.

I turn around grinning like an idiot and sent him a wink. “I’m going for a run.” Before they can even object, I turn around and sprint to the woods. “See you at the house!” I yelled.

Showing off, I jump the fence and shift to my wolf. Show off! Everyone said through the mind link except Brian and Arvin who I imagine is smiling and shaking their heads.

I dart through the forest, going deeper and deeper. I let myself go, pushing all my worries at the back of my head. It wasn’t the time to think or try to solve something.

My body was cramp and stiff from the lack of shifting for week straight. It wasn’t like me as well.

I dodge trees after trees until I reach a place I never seen before. It was a lake and a mile away was a waterfall. I stroll towards it, tails waging uncontrollably from excitement.

The waterfall was breath-taking as I stare at gawk on it. It was after all the most beautiful thing I ever seen for the pass week.

I sat at the edge of the pool it create and let my mind wonder to every problem I was facing.

My priority is to help my old pack, followed by my mates and lastly my family. The first one wasn’t really a problem but the second and third one was.

For four days, I had been thinking about those two, comparing them to one another which lead me to square one.

It seems like whatever I though of something good about Brian, Alex would have something better and vice versa. Even the rejection didn’t help me after knowing why Alex did it.

Did I really want to know why? I ask myself over and over again. Yes, I wanted to know why I wasn’t good enough but that wasn’t really the cast.

He rejected me because he was scared, scared that I would leave him to my mate.

I frown, staring at the waterfall with concentration.

The talk about second mate seems to echoes in my head. ‘Only the rejected one or the mate that died before they met them is the one who finds their second mate.’

Alex rejected me and Brian was my second mate. Is Alex my first mate?

A nagging feeling settles in as I rank my head for an answer. I was Alex second mate, only second mates whose fate is entangle together.

Only second mates!

My eyes widen as realisation hit me like a bullet. I jump to my paw and sprint back to the pack house.

The sight of the pack house pumps more adrenalines through my veins as I sprint to my room. I shift back to my human form and quickly put on some clothes.

Arvin, where are you? I ask through the mind link as I sprint down the stairs.

Having some lunch at the diner, why? He said, worried.

I’ll be there in a bit.

Arvin didn’t answer.

Ten minutes later, we found ourselves standing in the heart of the woods. “Mind telling me, why you suddenly decide to drag me all the way here?” Arvin asks playfully.