School, among other things

Start from the beginning

"Good to have you back Dylan," smiled Mr. Clifton.

The first week of school went by rather smoothly. Jessica never showed and with each passing day my tension eased. The work wasn't very hard, I just didn't like the homework. It was a pain in the neck. Today it's Friday, and I'm in my last class. Advisory, which is a bit pointless but still fun because all we do is talk while Ms. Leroy stairs at her computer screen all the time. I chuckled to myself when I imagined her searching up pictures of Lindsey Lohan and Megan Fox.

I made one new friend so far, other than Nathan and Luke. A girl, named Isabella. But I like to call her Izzy. She was in half my classes, including this one. Ten minutes until the bell rang.

"Dylan?" she shook my shoulder. I looked up at her as she hopped up onto my desk. She has light blonde hair, lighter than mine, that's cropped to her shoulders. She was slender, and her light green eyes sparkled like Emeralds. Her clothes were always different. Some days she'll wear bright colors and others she'll be wearing dark clothes. But as I got to know her I noticed she was extremely spiritual, and optimistic about everything. But there's still a dark side to her.

People were scattered around the room in their own little groups and conversations so they didn't notice us very much. I jumped up next to her and smiled happily, glad to have a good friend like her to sit next to at lunch. Someone to talk to when I wanted to avoid the stares and strange looks. They knew, but they were still waiting to see who would approach me first. She was new to the district his year so she doesn't really know anybody. I took the honor of showing her around and telling her to look out for. We bonded over tons of things. Especially music, which I had a strong love for before I got so overwhelmed in gay drama.

"Yeah?" I wondered.

"Do you have a girlfriend?" she asked, meeting my eyes suspiciously. I looked away quietly. Man, I hope she doesn't like me... that would ruin everything! I haven't told her I was gay yet, no reason to lose a friend so soon...

"No," I murmured. She sighed.

"I had a feeling," she chuckled.

"You had a feeling about what?" I turned to face her. She chuckled again.

"Dylan are you gay?" she laughed. My face turned bright red and I jumped down of the desk and wandered idly around in circles in front of her. She waited.

"Stupid rumors..." I muttered under my breath, hoping she would hear.

"They're not rumors if they're true you know," she pointed out. I sighed.

"Izzy, can we not talk about this?" I begged. But I know it's too late. She's gonna hate me now. The bell rang and I let out big gust of air, relieved. I grabbed my backpack and headed for the door. She followed close behind.

"You're gonna have to admit it sooner or later, and besides, I already know," she told me as I pushed through the people down the stairs. I didn't respond until we were out the front door and heading down the sidewalk away from the people.

"Please, please, please don't tell anyone!" I begged, turning towards her. She smiled.

"I was right!" she bragged. I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah, yeah whatever just promise okay?" I pointed my finger at her.

"Okay," she agreed.

"So who told you...?" I wondered as we kept walking. "And why aren't you dissing me?" I added, so relieved.

"Nobody told me, I just know," she chuckled. "And not everybody is homophobic you know, I love gays," she chuckled. "I'm still straight though," she added.