He quickly looked away, not meeting my gaze. Now I was just staring.

I snapped back to reality, crouching down to pick up the pieces of broken glass on the floor. "So, you're Carl, right? I mean—I only know that because your sister Debbie told me. I don't, like, stalk you or anything," I cursed myself at my failed attempt to try and start a conversation.

"Yeah. One and only, Carl Gallagher."

I froze, my eyebrows furrowing together. I glanced up at him. "D-Did you just say Gallagher?"

"Shit, no. I said—" Carl started, but I cut him off almost immediately.

"Gallagher? A bunch of fucking cops broke into my house last week, asking if I knew a Gallagher!" I stood up and rubbed my forehead, pacing the kitchen floor. "Holy shit, it could be Ian, or Lip, or—"

I stopped in my tracks, advancing towards him. "Look at me."

Carl didn't say a word, just sped past me into the kitchen. I watched in disbelief as he grabbed a pack of cigarettes and put one of the white sticks inbetween his lips.

"You can't be serious. You stole my wallet!" I scoffed, making my way towards him. I was now one-hundred percent sure that he was the one that broke my screen door.

What a coincidence. This night just keeps getting crazier.

"Yeah, thanks, by the way." Carl muttered, the cigarette wiggling as he spoke. I watched as he fumbled with the lighter, finally lighting the cigarette butt.

"For what?"

"Letting me escape from the cops."
Carl said, finally meeting my gaze. There were the blue-green eyes I knew before. Those mesmerizing, hypnotizing, luscious ocean eyes. They were framed by long, dark lashes and the slightest undereye circles. They were still beautiful nonetheless.

His eyes caught me off-guard because it took me a split second to realize that he blew the smoke from his cigarette into my face. Fucking second-hand smoke.

I coughed ferociously into my elbow. "Fuck you, Gallagher."

"Maybe later."

"You're sick."

Jeez. What was with the Gallaghers and sexual references?

Before either of us could open our mouths to say another word, we heard Debbie's voice and her footsteps approaching.

"Nelly, what's taking you so lo—" Debbie paused when she caught a glimpse of her brother. "Oh, you finally met Carl?"

I pressed my lips together awkwardly. "Yep, finally met him."

"Well . . . This is great! Carl, do you wanna come upstairs with us? We're gonna play a drinking game," Debbie insisted as she rose an eyebrow, hoping that Carl would be interested in the alcohol aspect of it all.

"Nah, I've got better things to do," Carl said, blowing one more puff of smoke in my face. I squeezed my eyes closed and held my breath. What a fucking asshole.

"Oh, yeah? Like what, rob a bank?" I assumed, finally opening my eyes to glare at him.

"Good guess, I was actually gonna go steal a car and then hit up some girls at a party."

I crossed my arms over my chest, glaring at Carl. "You're insane."

"Insanely good in bed," Carl smirked, his eyes traveling up and down my body.

Debbie rolled her eyes. "Carl, you were supposed to leave a good impression for us! Lip and Ian fucked up already. Nelly probably thinks we're a horde of crazy people!"

"I really don't, you guys are cool." I said absently, realizing that no one was listening.

"Since when do you give a fuck about what people think?" Carl asked, though I could tell that he wasn't too interested in Debbie's answer.

"Since I don't have a lot of friends!" Debbie retorted, her freckled cheeks flushed. Her eyes darted around the room, settling on me, and then back to Carl. "Forget it."

I watched as Carl shuffled around with his feet, and then grabbed his jacket and made his way towards the front door.

"So that's it, huh? You're just gonna leave your sister? Not even gonna comfort her?" I raised my voice, frustrated with Carl.

"See you tomorrow, Debbie." Carl didn't bother looking back, he just opened the front door.

Debbie groaned in frustration, plopping herself on the couch. I reassuringly placed a hand on her shoulder and stared in disbelief at Carl, who was halfway out the door. His eyes met mine for what I hoped wasn't going to be the last time.

"See you later, Noelle." And with that, he stepped out the door.

I didn't even want to know how he knew my first name.

- ♡ -

this is insane... i'm almost at 100 reads?! i could not be more eternally grateful. thank you for the support, it honestly means so much to me. i hope you enjoyed this chapter! i'll try to update every other day :) don't forget to vote and comment! love always, kate xo