The Dreams By: Kourtney Cherry

Prologue: The Party

      He turned the key and to his horror he found a laboratory in the basement of his friend’s house. The animals inside looked tormented. As he looked around, the animals looked less familiar. Frog bodies and reptile heads, snakes with wings, and many other disturbing things hid inside the black cages of the lab. There were dead bodies that laid on tables, cut and dismembered. Some were mutants as well as the poor souls in the cages.

          Then from out the quiet the door slammed. A cackle came from the shadows of the room. His heart stammered and raced. He tried to see the face but the shadow hid him well. All he could see was a black lab coat and surgical gloves. The lights seemed to flicker with each cackle. His heart felt as if it were beating out of his chest. His hands turned clammy and his eyes were bloodshot. Then the mystery man spoke.

          “Well, what do we have here? Is that Demetri I see snooping? Long way from home. You see, the world here isn’t the same anymore. And, I’m afraid you have seen too much as an outsider. You should’ve stayed upstairs.” The man had a surgical mask and dark goggles to hide his face. He walked up to Demetri and covered his face with a black bag.

          Demetri could breath, but only slightly. He stayed quiet to keep the oxygen inside as plentiful as possible. The holes in the netting of the bag were small and didn’t allow a lot of air. His heart still raced as he felt hands grab him and drag him away. Fidgeting was out of question if he didn’t want to get hit. He wished he knew who the man was. He hadn’t talked since the lab. and his voice was unfamiliar. Tears ran down his cheeks to the bottom of the bag, pooling around his neck. His limbs and grown weak.

          Then everything stopped. He was then lifted and placed on something cool and hard. He guessed it was a surgical table. He felt himself being bound ‘til he couldn’t budge. Then they removed the bag from his face. Now there were two men. Both were in the same clothes to hide their identity. To the left of him there were many knives and needles. He wanted to run but the bindings were too strong

          The first man picked up a needle and a small vile. Demetri tried to read it but all he got was a W and he fainted.

Chapter 1: The Man

          “Demetri, look you have wings!” said his friend Kit. Demetri looked at his sides.

          “They are beautiful,” Kit exclaimed. Demetri picked Kit up and took to the sky. The sky was blue and inviting. The clouds looked like big white pieces of cotton candy around them.

          “The world looks so much nicer here,” Demetri said. His short brown hair spiked in the breeze. His emerald eyes sparkled from the bright shiny day. Kit’s long black hair whirled behind her. She smiled widely and looked down laughing.

          “The houses seem like toys. They are so small…Demetri, can we go to the ocean?”

          “Of course why not?” They flew the morning away, over small towns and valleys.

          They stopped at a café to eat. Kit looked at Demetri and scampered in. Demetri happily followed, but stopped. Men came and enclosed him all around. And soon he was taken away.

(above is a dream)

         Demetri woke up in a cold sweat. He was laying in a bed upstairs. The room was small and simple. Meaning it was probably a guest room. The sun peaked through the curtains. Birds chirped by the window. He looked next to him and the table was a small clock that read 11:45 am. He sat up and thought about the party.