Chapter 20

Chapter 20

“How do you know where I live?” That was the first question I needed the answer to. It wasn’t like I went around advertising my private life during the job and I was on super alert thanks to the nut job reeking havoc on my life.

“You’re parents are listed I called and your grandmother gave me your address.” Abby answered. Gee thanks grandma just give my address away, next the big bad fish killer will kill me too.

Oh no did the killer follow me like I thought or did they do what Abby did; call home. I’d have to find out. Abby came inside and I asked. “What can I do for you?”

“I wanted to talk to a friend.” And that was me? Um ok, then I realized Abby was a little loaded as she got closer and the smell of liquor hit me. “Want a drink?” she asked and I noticed the paper bag in her hand next. She walked into my kitchen and made herself at home.

“Sure.” Hell yeah I could use a drink, I needed something to stop thinking about Biggie dead on the floor, my car being touched by god knows who and lastly what that person planned to do next to me.

She found some glass mugs in my cabinets and then we sat at the table. “I miss her.” Abby admitted now. I saw she had been crying and maybe drinking for awhile. “I told her to stay away from him.”

Huh? I thought Abby didn’t know who the dealer was? Ok my new journalist skills kicked in. “Who?” I asked and took the drink. Maybe not best to drink and push for answers but I wasn’t in my right mind either.

“She liked Zack.” Abby said with what looked like a slight smile. “But he didn’t notice her in that way I guess. So she had a plan to make him see her you know? She got close to this guy just to make Zack jealous but then she did start liking this guy for real. I believe he got her hooked again.” Abby explained before proceeding to finish off her drink in one big gulp.

I had no idea what we were drinking but it was good. I didn’t say anything, I let Abby keep going.

“It stopped being about Zack pretty fast. She really liked this new guy and she looked happy. Then I know drugs factored in. He got her back involved with those people and she pissed someone off. Marty was good at pissing people off. Guess who she pissed off?” Abby asked as she filled my cup back up.

“Who?” I was feeling bad for Abby; she lost a friend and came to me. Coming to me meant she didn’t have other friends which was surprising for a beautiful girl like her.

“Her father, the Mayor. That prick.”

Please don’t let me forget this info later, I prayed as I kept drinking. The stuff was too good to stop, I started to feel a little weight lift from my shoulders and relax for the first time since I noticed my car was stolen. “Kids piss off their fathers all the time, so?”   

“He didn’t want her involved in that life because it could’ve gotten to the papers and then maybe someone would’ve looked into his lies.” Abby explained.

And someone did, Zack, he knew about the Mayor’s dirty side. As Abby kept spilling information it was all making sense. “And?” I asked giving her the push to keep going.

Abby sighed. “He wanted her to stay away and maybe get help again. She told him to fuck off. Marty got involved in some crazy ass debit she couldn’t pay off. That pissed her dealer I guess he was off. So she went running to daddy and he promised to fix it only if she left town and got help.” Abby knew a lot more than she let on at her apartment.

“But that didn’t happen and they collected her debt with her life?” I guessed.

Abby began to cry and nod. “Marty told me everything, when I heard she was killed I knew it was because of that and then when her dad was killed I was sure. He couldn’t pay off that much money without rising eyebrows. He took too much time so they offed him too.” She finished what she was saying and got another drink.