Chapter 12

Chapter 12

I walked in the house, it was too quite so that meant everyone was still fuming. “Where’s Papi?” I asked Grandma Loupe, he was always watching TV at this time but it was off.

“Went to talk with Theo Myers.”

I felt pain for Theo at the moment, so sad too bad. “And Mami?”

“Kitchen.”

“Thanks.” I left Grandma Loupe in the living room were she was sewing something; I didn’t catch what it was. Mom was scrubbing the stove so hard I think she was going to scratch the white off. “Need help?”

She finally realized I was there and turned around. “Those Myers boys, I told her to stay away from him but did she listen? No. And now look at her, having a baby.” I saw the stress along her face and her eyes were filled with worry. “I told you the same thing, you listened.”

Oh no here came the guilt, I didn’t listen but she didn’t know that. Stay cool Sam just keep cool. “Mom she didn’t do it to hurt you.” I don’t know if I meant me or Erin. “It was a mistake.” The difference was I knew it was a mistake and moved on, Erin fell in love.

“A mistake she’ll pay for all her life. We barely make it now, a baby cost a lot of money. She’s in school, she’s still a baby herself.”

“You know Alissa and I were help anyway we can.” I barely made it but hey she needed some support right now. “Have you talked to Erin again?”

She shook her heard. “I don’t know what to say.”

“Ma I think she needs some support too. She’s scared, she’s the baby, she doesn’t know like me and Alissa how to care for a kid. She needs you.” I felt so bad for my family but I couldn’t fix it.

“I know.” Mom softly said. “I know.”

The front door opened and dad walked in. He looked at me and mom then said. “The wedding is in a month.” He turned and went upstairs.

“Wedding?” I questioned.

“It’s bad enough she’s sixteen, she can’t have a baby out of wedlock too.” Mom said as she turned and went to the stove to scrub. It was obvious she didn’t like the idea of Erin and Theo getting married but she wanted it done. “There’s a plate for you in the microwave.”

Bingo. I went and took the plastic container then inched closer out of the kitchen. “I have to work tomorrow so I should be going.” She just nodded, no remark of coming to get food and running like always, this was a sign it was beyond serious in this house. I said goodbye to grandma and headed to my car.

I should head home eat his food and go to bed but I didn’t I drove down to Theo’s house and got out. I knocked twice and his mother, Rachel, opened the door. “Sam it’s been so long, come in.” she said, she was such a nice woman.

“I know my dad was here so I guess you know.”

“Yes Erin’s pregnant and the wedding is in a month.” She said with a faint smile.

“My dad can be pretty persuasive.” I know for a fact he came over here like a bull wanting to kill Theo. No signs of blood so I believed he was still alive.

“So can Frank.” Rachel said, Frank was her long time husband and Zack and Theo’s father. “He agreed they needed to be married if they were having a child. It’s for the best.” She had the same look my mother had, sadness and disappointment.  Here she was dealing with her teenage son having a child and her other son was running from the law. I say she was holding it together pretty well.

“If you need anything,” I began. “Just call me.”

Another faint smile appeared on her face. “Thank you.”

I left after that, done with my rounds tonight. I couldn’t remember the last time I was out so much, it was tiring. Once at my apartment I did a sweep to make sure Zack wasn’t lurking around again. I could only make that mistake once. I locked the door and went straight to the kitchen I placed the plate down. I sweated up a storm again, I felt too sticky to eat now. Stripping along the way I headed to the shower.

After I was done I threw on a pair of running shorts and a tank top. I headed to the kitchen hearing the food calling my name but I was stopped by a knock on the door. It was almost ten, who the hell was at my door? Maybe one of the neighbors.

Nope not a neighbor, I didn’t know this person. He looked me from head to toe and said. “Cute.”

I looked down, ok so I wasn’t wearing the most concealing outfit but this was my home. “Can I help you?” I hated the fact I felt a rush of heat on my cheeks, the stranger made me blush. He was very easy on the eyes, tall, built; facial hair gotta love that, brown short hair, hazel green eyes. It was my turn to check him out, only fair.

He extended his hand to me. “Joey.”

I shook his hand and locked eyes with his green brownish ones. I was interested to know why he was here; I was suppose to go to him not the other way around and not ten o’clock at night.

“We gotta talk.” Joey said walking past me and into the apartment.

“Yeah sure come in.” I flatly said as I shut the door. I looked at him and crossed my arms. “What’s up?”

“How do you know Myers?”

“From around, how do you know him?”

“Work.”

“You don’t look happy about that fact.” I pointed out.

“We don’t get along.” Joey said. I quickly realized he wasn’t big on using a lot of words.

“Then why are you helping him?” I asked.

“I don’t like him but he’s a good cop getting screwed. The case is fishy I don’t like fishy cases.” Joey explained, seemed to make sense.

“Why are you here?”

“Wanted to meet the girl Myers trusted to spill the beans to.”

“I haven’t been spilled no beans because I know jack shit about Zack’s plans.” I curtly replied as I went back to the kitchen, Joey followed behind me.

“Why are you helping him?”

“Because I’m an idiot.” It was an automatic response and very true. I knew I was an idiot but I couldn’t seem to stop being an idiot, it was all Zack’s fault, he tainted me. I put my plate in the microwave to be reheated. I turned around and found Joey now staring at me. “What?” I asked.

“You’re one of those huh? Head over heels for Myers?” He asked as he leaned against my kitchen wall with his arms and ankles crossed. I noticed again how tall he was, he seemed taller than Zack and Zack was over six feet tall now.

“No.” I said with a scoff, no I was not head over heels for Zack, come on that’s crazy.

Joey shook his head. “You got it bad.”