Chapter 8

Chapter 8

I rode with Nikki most of the day on her interviews. She was loud and fun and god help you if you got on her bad side. But there was a whole different side to Nikki when she was working and getting her story. Alissa was right, Nikki was good and I could learn a lot from her.

It was about ninety three degrees outside but it felt like three hundred. Once we were back at the office the heat was worse because the air conditioning died a few hours ago. Everyone was fanning them self’s at their desks, a few went out and bought fans.

“Oh fuck this.” Nikki said after the inside heat hit her. “I’m done for the day, tell Alissa to call me if she needs me.” With that Nikki left the office. I wanted to run and join her but I went to Alissa’s office instead. I felt the sweat running down every part of my body, it was so hot within the hour I got a new tan. It was just too freaking hot in Miami.

“Hey.” I said walking into the office and the heat was worse in there. “What’s up?” I asked as I walked over to crack a window before I passed out. Alissa had a fan blowing in her face so I guess she didn’t notice it the way I had.

“Nothing much. You will be at the house tonight right?” Alissa asked, there was a tone in her voice like a threat, damn talk about no trust.

“Yes I’ll be there.”

“You better be, you tend to flake when it gets serious with our parents.”

“I’ll be there don’t worry.” I said with a sigh. “If you don’t need me now can I go home?” I needed to get out of these clothes.

“Yeah go.” Alissa said sorting through papers. In two days I realized when she was going over something it didn’t matter who was in the room, her eyes stayed on the papers.

Almost running I left the office and jumped into my car. I blasted the air conditioner and took a long inhale gotta love that fake air. I left the parking lot and headed home. The streets were packed, it was a little after one and everyone was heading back in from lunch. There were times the traffic didn’t even move.

It would take me ten minutes from the office to my apartment without traffic, with traffic like this it took half hour. Cursing the non driving asses in Miami that rode their break because they were scared I left my car and ran upstairs trying to escape the heat.

“It’s hotter than hell out there.” I told Biggie. He looked at me with his fish eyes, giving a silent comfort.

I had air blasting in the apartment but it was still hot, I needed a shower. I pulled off my shirt, wearing just my bra I walked into my room. As soon as I did someone covered my mouth and held me to their chest so I wouldn’t run. This was great.

“They grew.” I felt his eyes looking down my chest. I began to see red again.

I pulled away from him and covered my self with the t-shirt that was still in my hand. “You bastard!” I yelled at Zack. “You scared the living shit out of me! What the hell are you doing here in my apartment?” I asked. Everyone thought he skipped town but here he was in my bedroom!

“I needed to talk to you.” I hated when he acted all cool like nothing was a big deal, like he was acting now.

“There are phones for that kind of thing.” I turned around and put the sweaty t-shirt back on.

“I liked you better with it off.”

I flipped Zack off as I turned around. “You’re a wanted man now, it’s all over the news so I’d shut up before I give into the urge and call the cops.” I looked into his damn eyes so he’d know I was serious. I was so pissed his eyes didn’t affect me, not much. He grinned at my comment, why did he have to go and do that for? “What do you want?” I needed to get him out of my room, out of my life again.

“It’s part of your job to ask questions at the station. I need you to find out what’s going on with the Moore case.” Zack said

“Why would I do that?” I crossed my arms and had a pout going, I was really mad with him at the moment.

“Because you wanna help me.” he said confidently.

“I don’t want to help you.” I snapped as I pushed him out the room, my thoughts couldn’t handle it anymore. Once out the room I shut the door.

“Nervous? We did it on the floor, the sand, my car… never a bed so you should be worried about the floor.” Zack said with another grin.

I slapped him across the head. “Shut up! I’m not nervous; I just hate anyone in my room.” I crossed my arms again. I wanted to slap him again for bring up the fact we ‘did it’ on the floor and all those other places. “You could’ve gone to anyone to help you why me?” I wanted to know now. I’m sure he had buddies at the station he could’ve called.

“You were the only one that was sure I didn’t kill Marty Moore. In a crazy way I trust you.” Zack said.

Damn it he was being nice, why did he have to come back into my life? I was so screwed now. “What do you want me to do?” I softly asked. I tried to think of the reasons I shouldn’t help him but all that came to mind was the fact he came to me.

“I need to know what’s going on with the case.” He said.

“I’ll see what I can find out.” I was weak, I couldn’t say no to the man, again. “But answer me this, why didn’t you go to court, why are you running?”

“I need everyone to think I’m out of town. I need them to think I’m guilty so I’m running.” Zack explained, I could tell he had it all worked out.

“Why?”

“So the real killer will slip up and I can catch him. And now you’re going to help me do it.”

Oh crap.