Chapter 26 Fin

Chapter 26

The cops came after that and arrested Abby Walker for the murder of Marty Moore. Once of course the lead detective on the case heard the evidence. Since I was coming to talk with Abby again I had hid a tape recorder in my bra and left the other tape in my bag. Good thing I planned ahead because now we had Abby and The Mayor dead to rights with every detail they had spoken in front of me.

As soon as the cop cars showed up Joey was mysteriously gone, seriously who is that guy?

To my surprise Zack stayed by my side, after a uniformed cop removed the cuffs Zack hugged me. It felt really nice but un-Zack like. But hey it’s been ten years, I didn’t really know him anyone. And to be honest I was really like this new Zack. Crap there’s no hope for me, I wanted him then and still do. Maybe always will and that’s ok, I can learn to deal with it.

Now the questions came, everyone was shocked to see the Mayor alive and well. He was arrested as well because they had proof on his dirty dealings, courtesy of Zack Myers. After that everyone including me was taken to the station house for questioning. I spent the next few hours explaining how I got involved in everything but of course I left a few parts out.

The sun was shining nice and bright by the time I walked out the station. I had no clue where Zack was and I headed home. So the cops wouldn’t take my car as evidence I explained I parked in the back when Abby called me. The case was closed and I got my car back, I was happy. I still missed Biggie though.

I called Alissa and told her where she could pick up her car. She had tons of questions for me too but I told her I’d answer them later. At home I went and took a long shower and threw on a fresh pair of shorts and a t shirt.

I sat at my computer, the cops took the tapes I made for evidence but that was ok because after being scared for my life I remembered everything. I typed how Zack was framed and now the Mayor was dirty and how Abby started this because of a love affair. I left my self out of it, I was anonymous. The anonymous woman who helped Zack Myers and taped all the facts from Abby Walker.

As the article was printing I put my sneakers on. I grabbed the printed article and left the house. Ah I sighed as I sat in my green baby, I really did miss it. One of the uniform cops drove it to the station, I drove it back home but I didn’t experience it because I was too busy trying to keep the facts straight to type them out.

I drove in peace down to the Miami Wave building. “Girl we’ve you been!?” Nikki asked when she saw me.

“Around.” I said with a shrug. “When I’m done talking with Liss I’ll fill you in.” I promised before walking over to the office.

“I have been worried sick. Mom’s been praying to everything she could think of hoping you were safe.” Alissa said as she hung up with whoever she was talking to.

“I called and told Erin I was ok and to pass it on.”

“She didn’t say anything.”

Good to see some things never change, Erin was still a pain in the ass. “Well I’m fine and here.” I handed her the sheets of paper and sat down.

“What’s this?” Alissa question, she sat down and began looking at it.

“The story no other paper has. There’s details in there no one except me knows, that’s the story that’s gonna send your subscribers through the roof.” I said with a grin, I was really happy I could help her, at least something good came from this very big mess I got myself involved with because I didn’t know how to say no to Zack Myers.

“Oh my god.” Alissa said, with tears forming in her eyes.

“No don’t cry just be happy.”

“I am happy!” She yelled. “I’m mad you could’ve died, how could you get involved with something like this? Zack Myers that’s why, I should’ve known, where is he now?” Liss asked, every word was rushed together by her soaring joy.

“No idea. I last saw him at the station a few hours ago. He has more questions to answer then I did.”

“Come on.” Alissa said as she put the article in her desk and stood up. “It’s almost lunch. It’s our day to go see Mami anyway and it would make her feel better to see you.”

I agreed and we both left the office. I made plans with Nikki for later before Alissa and I each took our own cars to the house so we could part ways later. Mom was on the porch when we drove up, she walked toward down the porch and hugged me.

I really wasn’t expecting that and it felt nice. “Now I’m going to kill you.” she said as she let me go. “I was worried all night and then I hear on the news you were a hostage! You know if you had a different job not working with loonies the cops bring in none of this would’ve happened.”

“Mami it’s not the job.” Alissa said, offended that the job she gave me was taking all the blame. We walked inside as Alissa and mom continued to argue over the matter. I left as they headed to the kitchen and went to see Erin, “Thanks for passing along the message.” I walked over to her bed and sat down.

“Sorry about that.” Erin said. “So everything ok?”

“Peachy. It wasn’t so bad but I’m glad it’s over.” I admitted.

“And Zack’s name is cleared?”

I saw the smile on her face. “Yes but stop thinking that. There’s nothing going on.” Right? I helped him, we came close to having sex but that ship sailed away. Whatever was happening now was over, like the case, all over. Plus it was best like that, Zack always seem to turn my life upside down.

“Ok if that’s you believe.”

“I believe it so shut up. How are you and the little one?” I asked, taking the conversation off of me was always great.

“We’re good, mom and dad aren’t looking at me like a huge disappointment anymore but they’re still upset.” Erin answered and shrugged her shoulders, she knew like I knew that she couldn’t ask for more from mom and dad. It could’ve gone a lot worse than it had.

Erin and I left her room and headed down for lunch. Everyone was seated at the table. “So,” Grandma Loupe started, oh no. “You were right that Myers boy was innocent. And a shame about the Mayor, he was a cutie.”

My mother sighed and I laughed, I loved this old woman more and more, she was great. I wonder when mom hits her age if she’ll let go and just be fun. I doubted it but for now I could still hope.  

When you’re sure you were dead meat you learn to enjoy things like having lunch with your family. I left shortly after that, I was glad to see them but not enough to stay the whole day.

I was so tired and I couldn’t sleep, I felt like running or something. I went home and the loss of Biggie hit me. He wasn’t there for me to talk to, no one was.

I kicked off my shoes and decided to try and take a nap. When I walked into my room someone was sitting on my bed. “Came in through the window again?” I asked as I leaned against the wall.

“Yeah I dropped by to see you but you weren’t here so I waited.” He explained as his damn blue eyes focused on me.

”What are you doing here? The case is over.” I tried to play it cool, like I wasn’t glad to see he cared enough to come see me. I felt like that teenager I used to be who wanted his attention except this time if he didn’t give it the world wouldn’t end. I knew I’d survive if he broke my heart again because by now I was used to it.

Zack rose from the bed and walked right up to me, our eyes met. “Yeah but we have unfinished business.” He said before he kissed me. I was giddy inside because I was hoping he’d do that but still cautious. I had to be.

“You’re an ass.” I wanted to make that clear before I gave into my very naughty impulsions I’d probably regret later when I was cursing Zack Myers to hell.

He chuckled. “I know.”