Chapter 1

Hades glanced down at the sleeping bundle in his arms. Nico's small head lay peacefully against his broad chest as gentle breaths escaped his parted lips. Hades had vowed to never love his children, to never get close to them in fear that they will turn out to be more of a monster than the last but Nico was different, there is an innocence to him that none of his children have ever possessed. He is different and special and Hades could not help but to fall in love with the bundle of pure joy in his arms.

Nico shifted closer to his father's chest, twisting the shadowy fabric of his black jacket between his tiny fists. The shadows reached out towards the young prince, curling around his small body and embracing him in their warm grasp. One day if the time ever came when Hades is unable to perform his duties he can rest peacefully knowing that the Underworld will be left in his son's capable hands. The shadows already bend to the child's every will, it is only a matter of time before he is able to raise his own army and lead his own quests. Is it selfish of him to wish that his son would remain this small and innocent for the rest of time?

"You shouldn't encourage him," a warm voice spoke from the doorway. Hades looked up at the sweet mortal women he had-against all odds fallen in love with. She was dressed in a long, flowy, white evening dress with lace embellishments around the hem of her skirt. The thin spaghetti straps loosely hung from her shoulders in a way that made her look both classy and absolutely irresistible. Maria smiled coyly as she flipped her long brown hair over her shoulder, her olive skin was a stark contrast to his own deathly pale complexion. "I'm sure one night won't hurt the poor boy,"
"you won't be saying that when I need to send an Iris message for you at the stroke of midnight because your son won't fall asleep without his father," She teased. Maria crossed the room, her heels clicking against the polished wooden floors. She bent down to place a gentle kiss to the Lord of the Underworlds cheek. Hades could not stop the corners of his lips from turning up into a gentle smile. He opened his mouth to reply with a carefully worded quip that he knew would make her laugh but any words he was about to say was cut off by a loud whine leaving Nico's parted lips. His precious boy reached up a chubby hand to rest against Hades scruffy chin. Nico's eyes fluttered but he remained asleep.

"He already reaches for you in his sleep. It seems you won't be able to get away that easily," Maria hummed teasingly. She had always had a way with words, it was yet another thing he loved about her, "perhaps you'll have to stay the night."
Hades glanced back at his lover. He reached up to tuck a stray piece of her dark, curly hair behind her ear before saying, "Perhaps I will." Hades let his hand rest against her rosy cheek. The pad of his thumb gently stroked along her prominent cheek bones. They gazed into each other's eyes for what felt like hours before Maria spoke up, "Come to bed Hades, it's getting late." Hades rose without another word. He took Maria's arm, keeping Nico pressed close to his chest with his other arm and lead his lover towards the master bedroom of Maria's tiny apartment. Despite his insistence, she will not accept money from him so that she can buy a bigger apartment, he had figured out many years ago, that it was impossible to give her anything. His first gift to Maria had been a diamond necklace which she had refused in favor of a simple picnic in the park. Her simplicity sometimes irritates him because she will not accept anything extravagant from him, only the simplest of gestures she will accept. For her birthday, Hades wanted to take her to the Eiffel tower- he knew it was a dream of hers to go but of course, she refused and instead he took her for a candle lit dinner in a little restaurant downtown that she adores. But so far, her desires for a simple life has not stopped him from spoiling his children rotten. Bianca was gifted a pair of diamond earrings for her last birthday, which he had enchanted to always come back to her and of course a closet full of the finest dresses this side of the continent. And for his dear Nico, Hades had enchanted his toys so that they would come to life whenever he feels the need to play with them. Hades will make sure they are spoilt rotten even if their mother refuses to be.

Hades stopped in front of his children's room. He gently pushed the door open and gazed inside. Bianca was fast asleep in her four poster, hand crafted, mahogany bed. Pink silk hung from the bedposts, cascading over the bed like a waterfall made of a hideous, glittery pink. Everything on her half of the room was pink and glittery but there was the occasional purple and red specked about. The floor was a mess of dolls and bears but perched in the center of the room was a large doll house. The house was almost an exact replica of Hades palace, however, instead of the striking black and reds of his humble little home, the replica palace was painted white with a bright pink interior. It was a hideous thing but Bianca had taken a liking to it so he would suffer in silence for her.

Nico's side of the room, however, was freakishly clean especially for a four-year-old. Not a single toy was out of place, nor a single wrinkle in his sheets. Nico is the complete opposite of his sister in every way but one, they both have the ability to wrap Hades around their little finger and bend the god of the Underworld to their every will.

Hades crossed the room to Nico's much smaller, hand crafted, black wood bed which was nestled in the corner of the room. The sheets and pillows were a matching set of pale blue. A small plushy was settled between the two pillows. It was an exact replica of one of the many hell hounds in the Underworld. Nico had named the beast 'Mew-Mew' for some ridiculous reason that he insisted was a secret. Hades laid his son down on the soft mattress and brought the sheets up to tuck underneath his chin. Nico sighed in content and snuggled down further into his warm bed. "See," Hades whispered as he glanced over his shoulder at Maria, "no trouble what so ever." Just then a loud cry echoed around the room. Maria smiled smugly, her shoulders shook with gentle laughter. Hades sighed. He turned around to face the source of the cry. Nico was sitting up in bed, his arms raised towards Hades as he cried desperately. His cries were so loud that he feared Nico would be unable to speak if he carried on. He swept Nico up into his strong arms and rest a gentle hand against the back of his neck. He rubbed soothing circles along the soft skin of Nico's neck with the pad of his thumb as he whispered calming words into his ear.

Just as Nico was beginning to calm down he heard the gentle voice of his daughter whisper, "Daddy?" Maria's laughter followed. It was going to be a long night.