Chapter 0.5 (Preface)

Start from the beginning

I caught the next flight back home and met Honor at the hospital.

"Did you get ahold of Mom?  Is she coming?" I asked.

"No way.  She checked into a spa, and I haven't heard from her since," Honor replied.

"I don't understand how she could turn and hide at a time like this."

"It's Mom.  She's always been like this.  You know that, Logan."

"I'm glad you were able to get here to handle the situation.  If you'd like, I can take over, so you can get back to Josh and the kids."

"I appreciate that, little brother.  I will be back later to check on things.  Keep me posted.  I'll have my phone on me, so if anything happens, call me immediately!"

"I will," I promised.

I made my way back to Dad's room.  I had never seen my father look so small and helpless.  Mitchum's always been the big, scary boss man.  I felt my own mortality, and it ached.  I needed to find a way out of the situation.  I couldn't do it right now, but it needed to be soon.

"Dad, I'm here," I said, touching his hand.  I thought I saw the flicker of a smile.

Dad had been in the hospital for three days.  He'd been slowly moving about, but after quadruple bypass, he wasn't moving too fast.  The doctors encouraged slow and steady.  That was not his style, but he was learning.  It was going to take a few more days before they release him to the care of home nurses.  Now was my opportunity to lay it on him.  It was never or now.  Despite his condition, I gathered my ammo and fired.

"Dad, we need to talk," I started.

"About what, Son?"

"Odette."

"Don't worry about the wedding.  You don't need to postpone, I'll make it."

"No, Dad.  I can't marry her," I confess.

"This is not the time or place to discuss this, Logan.  I'm recovering from a heart attack for Christ's sake!" he replied, starting to get worked up.

"I know it's not the greatest timing, but please calm down and listen to me.  I've had a lot of time to think these last few days," I began.  "We don't love each other, and I doubt we ever will.  I want to marry for love, not some business deal."

"It's Rory Gilmore, isn't it?  She's got some hold over you, Logan.  I know you have been in contact with her for years," he said.

"You did?  Why didn't you say anything before?"

"Because I figured you'd grown out of it.  That's why I pushed Odette to move in with you after I saw you and Rory out at lunch," he replied.

"Dad, it's always been Rory.  Don't you see that?"

"I do see that.  Actually, I've always liked Rory," he confessed.

Who is this person and what has he done with my father?  I think to myself.  This is not the same man who tore her to shreds years ago.

"You have?  It sure didn't seem like it."

"She's an incredibly talented journalist and a beautiful woman.  I was impressed at how she bounced back after the internship disaster.  She was a positive influence on you.  I could tell whenever she was in town by your work and demeanor.  I credit her for helping you become the man you are today.  Hell, she could have been a great asset to HPG, but she needed to make it on her own merit.  I respect that even more," he stated.  "I don't know why you didn't have the courage to fight me for this earlier, but we can rectify the situation now.  If she's what you want, Logan, I say go for it.  Go get your girl!"

"So, let me get this straight.  You're ok with me moving back here to run the company from NYC, and Rory?" 

I was in a state of confusion.  I heard him agree with me about how I should live my life.  I pinched myself to see if I was still asleep and dreaming.  Maybe Dad had felt his own mortality.  Often times, near death experiences cause a shift in thinking and personalities.  I would take full advantage of the opportunity in front of me.

I spent a couple more days with him.  Honor came in to relieve me so I could go back to London and take care of some unfinished business.

"Odette, we need to talk..."

I told her everything.  I didn't get into too many details.  I couldn't hurt her in that way.  I gave her the Reader's Digest version, abridged and watered down.  She was stunned .  We sat in silence.  I tried to read her face, but it didn't seem happy or sad.  There were no tears, for which I was thankful.  About ten minutes passed before she said anything.

"Logan, I had no idea," she said, softly.  "I knew this relationship was never going to amount to much.  I had hoped, in time, our relationship would bloom.  I knew it wouldn't be easy, but I held a sliver of hope."

"I had the same wish, Odette, but I think I knew deep down that it would never be more than friendship.  She's held my heart for many years," I replied.  "I never meant to hurt you, but I can't go on like this anymore.  It's not fair to you, or me.  Each of us deserves to be happy, to find love."

"I know, and I understand.  We can't make something out of nothing, but I hope we can remain friends," she replied, and kissed me on the cheek.  "I'll call to arrange to pick up my things tomorrow.  Au revoir, Logan."

She gathered a few items and walked out of the apartment.