"What is he doing here?"

I looked up and met Jonahs eye as he marched over.

"He's trying out for the team. Got a problem with that?" Ryder said dangerously. Woah, down boy.

"Yes, actually, I do. Tryouts were a month ago."

"Well Coach had asked Nate directly a month ago to join. If you don't like it, you leave."

One by one the other guys on the team were looking over at us. It felt like the day in the mall when they all came and dumped their drinks on me. But this time Ryder was here.

"Unless you want the whole team to quit because of a faggot," He narrowed his eyes, "or two, I suggest you get his and your ass out of here."

Ryder's eyes narrowed slightly. He raise his voice slightly so everyone to hear, "Who doesn't want me here?"

"Me." But after Jonah's response, no one said a word. He looked around him slowly. The guys stared back. "...fucking kidding me..." He muttered. He shoved past Ryder and I and marched off the field.

Then a guy I didn't even know stepped up to me. "Sorry, Strauss. Ryder's our man, so if you join the team, I'm cool with it." The others nodded in agreement.

I took a deep breathe. This was weird. This was the most anybody has talked to me in a few years at school. This is the most people I've ever met in one day. And this was the first time I'm joining a sport. (But really, I'm mostly doing it because it would be good to be a well rounded student on college applications).

I glanced at Ryder. He looked proud of his friends. He caught my eye and smiled.

"Okaaaaay, enough. Come on everyone." Marcus appeared out of nowhere and started pushing us to the center of the field.

~~

I waited for the whole locker room to empty before I changed. Ryder was outside with his friends. I took a look in the mirror.

            I still looked kind of ill, but I looked way healthier than I had a week before. I still ha bandages all over my torso, and I wasn't supposed to be let out of the hospital. But thanks to Ryders awesome father that I've come to admire, I'm back in school.

            There was a small issue with where I was going. I couldn't live on my own anymore, because Mr. Steven was gone. Apparently, he did have custody over me. Kristy and Ryder had the biggest argument concerning who I was going to live with.

            Lets just say it ended with her sock in his mouth, and yelling, "YOU CAN LIVE TOGETHER WHEN YOU'RE MARRIED, HE'S MY BROTHER!"

            The only condition from Mrs. Clair was that I continue working at Red Rose. With pay. That's all she had to talk to me about.

            I've never appreciated the people around me this much. Something swelled in my chest. It kind of hurt. But it made me happy.

            "Sorry for interrupting your thoughts, but I needed to talk to you." I jumped and slammed my locker close, swinning around and facing...Mattson?

            "Mattson?" I asked quietly. I felt guilt wash over me. "Oh god, I'm really so–"

            "Hey, look, I don't care. I hated him anyway. He deserves this. I love you more than I remotely liked him."

            I felt my face warm. "Mattson, I –"

            "Don't worry, I wont do anything. Actually...I have to go. No uncle, no home, no tuition. I'm going back home. But here," He handed me a slip of paper, "If Ryder ever screws up again, I'm one call away. I'm sorry for everything. But he's gone, and this is your chance, man. You can do whatever you want. Do what makes you happy."