Leaving On a Jet Plane

Start from the beginning

James studied her. "Are you?"

"Of course." She sighed heavily and shook her head, "You know I can't get him out of my head - I've told you. And you've told me about Lily..."

"Have I?" James asked.

Maryrose didn't even seem to notice how weird it was that James didn't already know this. Rather, she just said, "I know we agreed we both understood that about each other when we got together... I know we said we were going to just keep each other company. Two people who would've loved each other if someone else wasn't keeping us distracted." She smiled sadly.

He didn't remember agreeing anything.

"But I don't know. I don't think it's working out very well. Do you?"

He shook his head.

"I think we should just be friends, James."

James nodded. "I think you're right, Maryrose." She nodded back, and took a deep breath, using her sweater to wipe her eyes. James cleared his throat. "I'm sorry," he said.

"I'm sorry also," she said.

They stood there awkwardly for a few moments, staring at one another.

Sirius stood at the edge of the platform in Hogsmeade, waiting for James. Remus stood beside him, holding the envelope that Dumbledore had given him just that morning - it contained his aeroplane tickets to and from Iceland and a little bit of muggle money to buy drinks and snacks on his trip from London to Reykjavik. Peter had gone onto the Express already to save their compartment. Sirius squinted down the little road, watching the thestral-drawn carriages coming and the students pouring out of them...

He glanced at Remus. "Are you excited about your aeroplane ride, Moony?" he asked.

Remus nodded, "Nervous, but excited, too."

"I've never been on an aeroplane," Sirius commented.

"I was once," Remus said. "Mum took me to visit my grandparents when I was little. But I don't remember it much."

Sirius looked down at his boots.

"I'll send you postcards," Remus offered.

"I'll send you one also," Sirius said, nodding, "From the seashore. Lily said there's a boardwalk - dunno much what that is, but she says there are loads of shops and games and the like. There's a carry-sell."

"Carousel," Remus corrected.

"Right."

They stood awkwardly.

"I'll miss you," Remus offered after quite a long pause.

"Nawh, don't be mental, you won't miss me even a lick," Sirius drawled, "You'll have Ned Veigler and loads of adventures to be worried about."

"I will. I'll miss all of you, really," Remus added.

"Oh c'mon Rey, there's bound to be... you know, like... arctic rats and... loads of... caribou and... sled dogs to run with an whatever. Who knows, you might enjoy them so much you just... don't wanna come back to boring old... not-Icelandic... us."

Remus shook his head, "Oh I do doubt that so very much."

James came up the steps to the platform then. He stumbled to a stop between the two of them. He looked funny - not in a ha ha sort of way, but a confused, almost baffled sort of way. Sirius turned to him, "Oi, Prongsie, what's the matter, darling?" Sirius asked as he slipped his arm' round his back.