Super Sirius and Rat Boy

Sirius returned to the dorm very late, upon Newt Scamander's insistence, and seeing as the bedding had not yet been changed out by the dutiful house elves, Sirius transformed and leaped up next to James. He just couldn't imagine being alone in his own, still untouched bed. He curled up in a ball at James's feet. That was exactly where James found him in the morning. He sat up and leaned forward so his chin was balanced on his knees and patted the big shaggy dog, and glanced at the window, watching the sunrise through the pane.

Peter lay awake in the next bed, staring at the ceiling, not speaking.

When it was time for breakfast, James nudged the dog awake and he turned back into a sleepy-looking Sirius and the three of them trudged down to the Great Hall without saying much of anything to one another, each one upset about his own problems.

The entrance hall was buzzing with activity as all the students wove amongst each other, headed for their house tables and greeting friends. The Marauders worked their way through, headed for Gryffindor table, and were just passing the entry doors, when a low voice sneered, "Convenient, isn't it? Mr. Lupin getting sick just before the Full Moon?"

Sirius's path was blocked suddenly by Severus Snape.

Severus grinned in amusement.

"You'll shut your face if you know what's good for you," Sirius said. He tried to shove past Snape, but Severus side-stepped and blocked him again.

"I'm simply expressing my concern," Snape said smoothly, "You see, I've been doing some thinking --"

"Careful, you may hurt yourself," Sirius snapped.

"-- and it seems that Mr. Lupin is ill quite frequently, and consistently, around the time of the full moon." Snape's voice was quiet, but James still glanced around nervously, afraid that Severus would be overheard. Oh the rumors that would begin! He shivered at the thought of them. "Don't you find it rather odd? Wouldn't you think that there might be a reason for something like that?" Severus breathed.

"Helixio," Peter suddenly said and Snape's nose was suddenly wrenched in a twisting motion, making him grab onto his face as blood spouted from his nostrils and his palms went pup to cover the oversized appendage and James looked at Peter in surprise. Sirius, too, had raised his wand just before Peter had acted. Peter pushed 'round Sirius, "You shut your big mouth! You shut it now! Remus Lupin is the nicest person in all the world and he's nearly had his appendix burst! He's upstairs right now recovering from an operation and its not fair because he ought to of been celebrating his birthday yesterday instead of crying out in pain and you're nothing but a big nosed git that's mean all of the time and tells lies and is stupid and your nose is fat and terrible and you're ugly and I'm sick of how mean you make everyone be!" And, gasping because he'd said all of that in one single breath, Peter shoved the doubled over form of Snape against the door and ran in to Gryffindor table, where he flung himself onto the bench in the boys' usual spot.

Sirius looked at James and James said, "Well, that about sums it up," and he turned and followed after Peter.

"Stay out of other people's business," Sirius said to Snape, "Or you'll find yourself in a worse state than that if I ever hear you talk about Remus Lupin again." And he went into the hall as well.

Severus leaned against the door, still clutching his nose, until he heard Lily Evans's voice. "Sev? What's happened to you?"

"Potter," Severus said, only half truthfully.