CH29

Andy On My Minds: 345,053 | Stay Golden, Lennon: 423,888

I'm forever grateful for all of your patience. Here's the next one! Also, leave me messages at http://fictionalchase.tumblr.com x

---

“Alright, you have two hours for final solo rehearsals. Throughout that period, you will each have ten minutes to meet up with the backing band to discuss arrangements. At what time and with which band is listed on the board to my left. It will be your responsibility to keep track of your meeting time. Besides that, the entire arena will be yours for the taking to find your individual rehearsal spaces. Good luck,” one of the producers announced, reading off of a clipboard.

All of the remaining contestants were seated on the stage floor, quietly listening to instructions but as soon as that was done, it was like a herd of zoo animals were unlocked from their cages as everyone sprinted towards the listings and then towards a solid rehearsal space that they could call dibs on.

I was never for hysteria, considering my history of anxiousness, and this was pretty close to madness, and so when everyone started running around in different directions, I closed my eyes and stood very still. I had learned throughout the past few years that shutting down my sense of sight and sense of hearing, while increasing my breathing tends to help with calming me down. With that in mind, I kept my eyes shut and tried to tune out the rumble of footsteps echoing on the stage floor.

A hand wrapping around my arm startled me, causing me to jump backwards. When my eyelids opened, I saw Liam standing very still in front of me. I guess he was just as startled as I was, and the thought of that was somehow very funny to me. I started laughing and so did he. It wasn't even that funny, really, but for some reason, it was comedic gold between us two when in reality, it was probably just the long day catching up to us. By the time we finally calmed down, there was barely anyone left onstage.

“Come on, then,” he said, extending an arm out to me, motioning for me to retrace his footsteps as he walked towards the board.

“Band 3, in about an hour and 25 minutes for me,” he stated after finding his name and looking down at his watch.

“I'm with Band 2...” I answered, and then I reached for his arm so that I could look at his watch. “...in about an hour and 45 for me,” I added, smiling.

He laughed at my cheekiness, and then nodded his head off to the distance. “Alright, let's go find a place to rehearse then.”

We walked side by side around the expanse of the given space, searching for any area that was unoccupied. Liam was leading the search, while my eyes lingered at each place we passed by to check if there were any vacancies. Before we could go any further, an idea sprung itself onto my brain, causing my feet to stop abruptly. Liam's legs carried him forwards for a couple more paces before he realized that I wasn't following.

“I know where to go. Follow me,” I told him, as I did a 180 and walked towards the opposite direction. I didn't have to turn around to check whether he was following because a moment later, I could hear his footsteps as he kept up a slow jog to catch up to me.

I knew where to go by heart. I led the way, back to the stage, and then round the rows of curtains and up the metal staircase to our final destination: the catwalk above the stage, the place where we sort of became friends.

“How did I not think of this place?” he said as he reached the last step onto the landing.

I shrugged before sitting on the ground at the opposite end of the catwalk, as far away from him as possible. He was about to follow suit, but I reached out my hand in the air to signal for him to stop. “Stay there,” I ordered lightly.