CH18

Disclaimer: this chapter is without a doubt my ultimate and absolute favorite that I have written so far. I hope that it tugs on your heartstrings as much as it has with mine. Please lemme know your thoughts about the chapter, and don't forget to vote. Also, if you'd like a dedication, either follow me on http://fictionalchase.tumblr.com and leave me an ask, or send a broadcast to your followers with the link of the story. I'll be choosing through that :) 

As always, thank you for all of your love and support. I've got a very important announcement at the very end of this chapter so keep reading 

Oh, and ps, another song is mentioned in this chapter and so as usual, I will link it on the side for those of you who want to check it out x 

---

Just let yourself in when you're back.”

Liam's voice echoed in the back of my head as I hesitantly twisted the doorknob. Not wanting to impose, I pushed the door open slightly, just enough so that I could peek my head in and call out his name.

“Liam?”

 “I took a quick shower and I'm just getting changed. Just come in!” his voice called out in the distance. “I'll be out in a minute or two.”

 I nodded my head, only realizing after that he couldn't see me. Shrugging, I pushed the door wider and let myself in, careful not to hit my guitar against the door frame. Once inside, I awkwardly stood in the middle of the hotel room, unsure about where to go and what to do while waiting. I must've stood there, decked out in my plaid pajamas for a solid five minutes, looking completely and utterly lost, up until I spotted the sliding doors that led to the balcony. Grinning, I eagerly slid the glass, making sure it was obvious enough so that Liam knew where to find me.

 The balcony was empty, bare as could be. It was without a single chair or table. Luckily, the barriers were glass and so despite my decision to slide down to sit against the wall of the building, I still had a perfect view of the city below. Resting the guitar on my thigh, I positioned my fingers on the neck of the guitar and started strumming. I haphazardly played random chords for the most part, up until I had a striking realization, an epiphany if you will, about where I was at that moment in time. It's almost serendipitous, I thought to myself, as the corners of my lips turned upwards while my hands expertly worked on twisting the knobs so I could tune my guitar. My brain kept repeating my cognitive process excitedly: I am in a hotel room that is on the eighteenth floor. I am sitting in a balcony. I am on the eighteenth floor. On a balcony. Eighteenth floor balcony.

 I speedily ran through the various chords that made up the Blue October song, adjusting my fingers on the strings so that I'd get each desired note perfectly. After a few minutes, I was finally able to recall all the necessary notes. Beginning from the top, I started strumming as I softly half sang and half hummed the lyrics.

 “I close my eyes and I smile

Knowing that everything is alright

to the core, so close that door

Is this happening?

 My breath is on your hair

I'm unaware

that you opened the blinds and let the city in

God, you held my hand, and we stand

Just taking in everything--”

 Lost in reverie, I almost forgot that I'm not completely alone. Sensing a pair of eyes watching me, I stopped singing and teasingly said, “spying on me now, aren't you?” I tilted my head to the side halfway though my question, just in time to catch Liam's face turn pink. He was watching me. His arms were crossed in front of his chest and he was lazily leaning against the frame of the sliding door.