Chapter One

[Kat's P.O.V]

My nose catches scent of an intruder, my eyesight catching the flash of dark brown fur, the sound of crunching leaves not missed by my enhanced hearing.

Without a second thought I dive into the underbrush, I was keen on getting whoever was attempting to hide.

With quick movements my teeth catch onto the scruff of neck that belonged to a small female wolf. She whimpers, her brown eyes pleading.

I take off toward the pack house, the small wolf paralyzed in my grasp. The pack house door opens and I toss her to the ground in front of my Alpha.

He whips around, his nostrils flaring, his chest puffing in aggression. He growls lowly and I soon realize its toward me. I blink startled as he's shoving me away from her and pulling her into his embrace.

"Alpha?" I question but he's not listening. He's too busy thrusting his nose into her neck. Realization suddenly hits me and I back away, no way could I have known I had found my Alpha's mate. And to make matters worse, I had thrown her at his feet, like some sort of meal.

"I'm so sorry Luna" I say talking to the she-wolf. But my words had fallen to deaf ears. I apologize once more before seeing myself out.

I head toward my one room house, my eyes following the wolves that were seeing what all the excitement was about. Happy chatter could be heard from miles as they caught whiff that I had just found Alpha Tanner's mate. Our new Luna.

I shake my head and step inside shutting out the excitement. I change into a sports bra and shorts, hoping to get a quick workout to calm my nerves before the ceremony. If I go at all.

I head toward the training room and let out a sigh of relief as my fist connect with a punching bag. My blows sending it spiraling out of control, I grin, this was something I could never get use to.

"Kat what are you doing here? I heard Alpha Tanner found his mate" Gamma Alex asks. He was an older wolf in his mid 30s with dark black hair, and keen dark eyes.

"Yeah. I was the one that brought her here. So I'm hiding out here." I say sending another punch to the punching bag.

"But shouldn't you be there celebrating I mean if it wasn't for you, the Luna never would have met the Alpha." He says, his green eyes filled with amusement.

"OK then Alex, why are you here?" I retort, stopping to glance at him.

"Easy." He says and I nod for him to go on. "I'm here to greet the Alphas when they show up."

Alpha Tanner hosts this annual party so all the wolves from outer territories can get together to find their mates. Rouges are often looked down upon, but no one stops them from showing up at these ceremonies. Most Alphas were lenient and allowed them to become members if their mates were part of the pack.

"Really?" I ask curiously while landing a right hook to the punching bag.

"Yes really. Now go get showered and everything. You might have a mate out their somewhere." He says looking at me meaningfully before he's pulling the punching bag down off the string.

"Hey!" I say angrily "I'm not done."

"Stop denying it. I know you want a mate. Nobody wants to be alone." He says heading out of the room.

I groan but comply as I head homeward. My shower was short and I hurry getting dressed. My dress was dark blue, bringing out my light blue eyes. My hair was a flattering shade of red that hung in ringlets to my waist. My frame was tall and helped me a lot when I fought stronger wolves.

I head to the border and watch as each pack and rogue crossed over. When everyone was accounted for I head toward the ceremonial room where I knew the new Luna would soon be introduced to the pack.

I step into the room, my nose suddenly overwhelmed by so many unfamiliar scents. Every wolf bore a mark of what pack they belonged too. My eyes skirt the length of the room and relax as I see nothing that could mean trouble.

"Kat" Someone says and I groan before turning and plastering a smile on my face.

"Alpha Tanner" I say my eyes finding the small brown haired girl I had captured.

"Lexi just wanted to say she holds nothing against you seeing as she did cross our lands, and you are the head warrior" Tanner says and Lexi fidgets with a necklace around her neck, nodding.

"I appreciate that and I just want to apologize for how I brought you in" I say scratching my neck nervously.

"It's fine" Lexi says, her voice barely a whisper, her eyes a beautiful shade of blue.

"So Kat, is each pack accounted for?" Tanner asks and I nod glad for the subject change.

"Yes, sir. Every pack that was on the list, although we do have rogues here as well and I'm not sure from which part." I whisper leaning closer to Tanner.

"Discretely watch them, we can't afford any fights tonight" He says pulling Lexi away to dance. My eyes follow some of the rogues when a wolf catches my attention.

He was tall and his tan complexion was brought out by his dark suit. Five o'clock shadow covered his sharp jawline, his hair was thick and the darkest shade of ebony I had ever seen. His eyes; they were the most astounding shade of green, glittering like a sea of emeralds. This man looked like a Greek God. There was something off about him and I couldn't exactly place it.

He sips from a drink and his eyes sweep the room. Suddenly he's walking elegantly toward another male. I watch as he leans in discussing something with the wolf. The other wolves eyes meet mine before he's heading toward me.

"Elias doesn't like to be starred at Miss...?" he questions..

"Kat and as for me starring at him it's my job. So you can tell your highness that I will not be studying him any longer" I say and brush past the man whose mouth is agape.

Someone grabs my arm and I hiss turning. The man named Elias is gripping my arm. "Who the fuck do you think you are?" He says angrily and I shiver his hand sending ripples of pleasure through my body.

"That's none of your business." I growl out as I yank my arm from his grasp. I walk through the crowd, away from him, away from my mate. I look back and he's looking at me his head cocked to the side. Suddenly he's following me. My back hits the wall and his face is mere inches from mine.

"Let me go" I say breathlessly my eyes darting to his plump, pink lips.