A Bemusing Bouquet

'bouquet' (Oct. 14-16, 2016)

"Emu feathers?" spluttered Mason the brickie, almost choking on his beer. "Give 'er a WOT? A 'boo-bloody-kay' of emu feathers? Have you gone off yer rocker?"

Calmly as ever, Mason's unlikely drinking mate Wesley clapped him firmly on the back to settle his sudden onset of coughing, taking another measured mouthful of his favourite - Scotch on the rocks. At home he drank an economical brand - with dry ginger ale. But Friday nights, having a few drinks with his mates at the pub, his whisky of choice was the best single malt... slowly and lovingly savoured, an expression of bliss wreathing his face.

Wesley was an insurance salesman with a so-far hidden passion for writing poetry at home, often during the nocturnal hours with nothing to disturb his concentration. He and Mason's paths had first crossed when Wesley was having additions built to his already substantial home. The new room would be what some called a games room; man-cave; retreat; or his choice - his den - because in dreams, he was the Lion King - overlord of all he surveyed, answerable to none - except his life-partner (when he wasn't faking 'wife-deafness').

Several gulps of beer later, when Mason had caught his breath (if not his equilibrium... yet), Wesley replied, "Yes... most decidedly emu feathers. You heard right. Now just listen... " and he paused to ensure he had his friend's full attention. "I take it you don't know about the symbolism of emu feathers?"

"Feathers... emu... symbolism! Oh yair sure... NOT!" Mason shook his head, with a wry twist of his mouth and one eyebrow lifted impossibly high.

"It's true old pal. Buy Dawn a fantastic bouquet for your wedding anniversary. Dried flowers with all these emu feathers curving around the back. Give them as soon as you get home that night. You know, before you go out to dinner and the show."

"Yair, but what's this symbolism bit? Huh?" Mason swayed just a tad on his bar stool.

"Well, how appropriate is this, for your little woman? The emu symbolises super parenting skills and courage and endurance to carry it all out. And it's about encouraging hard work, respect and humility. It guides seekers down the path of wisdom, they say." Wesley nodded wisely. "And a whole heap else... ".

"Yair, that sounds like Dawn, orright. But how's a bloke gonna remember all that stuff? And MORE, you say? Jeez... "

Wesley laid his arm heavily on his mate's shoulders. "No worries, fellow-me-lad - been telling you I'm a part-time poet. Now I'll prove it. Write it all out for you in verse, I will - onto the old computer, print it on some fancy paper, and Bob's your Uncle."

"Uhrr actually, Wes, Bob's me bruvver... but no worries! Sounds damn fine splendid to me."

"But wait, there's more!" And Wesley ruffled Mason's hair as he delivered the coup de grace, "after she's all done with the flowers, Dawn can take that bouquet apart and - 'DA-DA' - she'll have a feather duster. Now owzat for a practical pressie?"