Lucky I'm In Love

Start from the beginning

"Ach, it's okay. At least you're back," she smiled.

I could tell by her smile that she was hinting at something. 

"Yes, so, was there anything you wanted?" I asked, trying to sound as nice as possible.

"Ach jah, my daed wants a new rocking chair. He's going to gift it to Abram and Eliza."

"Okay, I will let my daed know." I wrote it down and turned to head back into the other room.

"Oh, and, Daniel?"

"Yes?" I asked, turning back around.

"It's so good seeing you. I was wondering if you wanted to come to see the farm sometime? It's changed so much since you left."

When we were kids, "see the farm" was code for lying in the dirt and looking up at the stars. We'd talk for hours and hold hands with each other. I used to enjoy it, but I knew that would be a mistake right now.

"I just got back, Catherine, I'll probably be really busy with daed and stuff."

"Ach, wunderbar (wonderful)! I'm glad you're back at the store. I'll see you at church on Sunday?"

"Ach jah."

"All right, I'm so glad that you're back in town, Daniel. I'll be back tomorrow to tell you what my daed wants." She was smiling nonstop. "Goodnight."

Catherine left and I could finally breathe again. It was very clear that she still loved me. I suddenly remembered that before I left that I told her when I came back we would be together, but things have changed. They changed a lot. No matter how much I wished that she had forgotten that promise I made, I knew she would never forget. She had been waiting for me all these years and I basically threw her feelings away. I felt like the bad guy in a Disney film.

"Good job, little brother," David said, slapping the back of my head.

"Owe, what was that for?"

"You'll see her in church on Sunday? I'm sorry, did you forget that you have a fianceé? What were you thinking?"

"I wasn't thinking. All thoughts left my head. I didn't want to hurt Catherine's feelings, especially after she told me Ester left. You know how close they are."

"Oh, right, so don't tell her you're engaged and let her meet your bride-to-be on Sunday? At church, in front of her entire family?"

"I don't know."

"Do you still love her?"

"No! I had forgotten all about our romance. I love Casey and she's the only woman for me. I never loved Catherine as more than a friend. Everyone expected us to be together, so, I dated her. Did you and Mary ever have any problems like this?"

"No, just like how you knew Casey was the one, I knew the same about Mary. Mary is also the only woman I've ever been with. You have a problem."

"I do?"

"Yes, just tell Catherine the truth next time you see her."

"But that's tomorrow!"

"You better practice your speech then." David patted me on the back. "Good luck."

After David left, daed and I loaded the buggy with a few wood pieces. They were kind of heavy and my daed was getting older so I carried the bigger pieces while he loaded the smaller ones. I could tell he was very happy I was back. He talked for hours and hours about how much I've missed and how much the people in town have changed. It seemed like for every death in the last four years, there have been two births.