Chapter 19

WHEN school commenced, rumors were churning.

Many students had gone, or knew somebody who had gone to the weekend house party. According to Daisy, there was now further evidence to prove I was a psychotic lunatic who was a threat to public safety - she had spread the story that I'd attacked Danny 'for no reason'.

"We need to get out of here," Nick murmured.

We ambled from the bus at tortoise speed. I hadn't uttered a single world about the occurrences of last night to my sister or stepbrother - as I came through the door, Arabella had been stirring to her senses. A glass with a measure of port had appeared next to her. She gazed at it with bewilderment.

"They're staring at us," I said. "If you see Danny, give us a shout. I don't want any awkward confrontations."

Our footsteps crunched underneath the gravel. We came across a lost football wedged in the bushes, which Nick dug out and began to push around with skilled feet.

"How about a road trip?" He suggested out of the blue. "I need a break from this boring, goody two-shoes town. Just the gang, a few friends outside with nature."

"I think it would be good for Betsy."

We caught sight of her through the long stretch of corridor window. Her hair was chucked back in a loose ponytail. The star-shaped sequins on her blouse glimmered as she stacked books in her locker. She wasn't looking at anybody.

"I could bring flashlights and food. We could build a fire, listen to the radio. I think we deserve a distraction."

"Sure," I nodded my head. "Best we don't bring drinks this time, hm?"

"Agreed. Hey doesn't your Dad come back this afternoon? What was he even gone for, anyway?"

"I don't know. He's an actuary; they calculate risks for banks. I just know he goes away for these professional business meetings and conferences."

Nick grasped my shoulder to stop, peering through the window.

"Quick! Get down on your knees!"

I crouched beside him. "Aren't you going at least to buy me dinner first?"

He choked. "You're as bad as your sister."

Inside, Danny had been slouching past. We would have literally been at an awkward eye-level with him. We remained in position until he sloped in the direction of the library.

Danny had been slouching past inside. We would've just been eye-level with him. We waited until he had sloped in the direction of the library, and went around to comfort Betsy. She was clutching her books to her chest in a childish way, looking little and lost.

Nick assumed a protective stance. "Are you okay?"

People around us were sneaking stares. If only they knew. I had half a mind to set Officer Johnstone - the burly cop from the principal office incident - on to Danny. He'd be able to remove his organs more efficiently than a vivisection, I'd imagine.

"They've been saying there's been sightings of the KKK in town," Betsy exclaimed tearfully. "Some sort of civil rights backlash. Don't worry about me, honestly. Look at you two - coddling me like concerned parents."

Without warning, someone draped themselves around our shoulders from behind.

"What have you crazy kids got yourselves in to?" Violet asked.

None of us said a word. My sister narrowed her cat eyes at us, knowing there was tension in the air. But she wasn't stupid.

"Ouch! I heard the gossip," she snapped her gum. "Do you want a joint?"