12

I woke up to the blinding light radiating from a large window . No rooms in the castle have Windows . Except for his . I must had fallen asleep in his room after last nights scarring events , I was bare underneath the covers shivering from the cold . I turned to the bedside table to check the time on the fancy electric alarm clock sitting on top of it. 12:47 , it read . I had slept in for practically the whole day , but could you really blame me?

Last nights events left me in shambles , and it seemed no one was willing to pick the broken pieces up . So I swallow my pain and try to survive , for I cannot live anymore my spirit has been long forgotten leaving me In an empty shell of a creature who only knows how to keep herself breathing . As my toes hit the cold floor I feel a wave of sickness hit my stomach as I spewed my guts on to the marble tile .Maven would love  finding this in his room later , I thought with a bitter laugh .  I stumble toward the dresser wiping the vomit from my hair  .

I found a simple white t shirt , something I hadn't seen in a while . It seems my life has been a parade of ball gowns and battle armor for the last year and a half .  I slipped the thin fabric on to my cold skin .It reached down to my mid thigh  and hung on my  tiny frame like a tent . I found a pair of sweatpants and attempted to put them on but they just slid down my hips , in utter distraught I decided to go pants less since the shirt fitted like a loose dress anyway .

I open the heavy door and creep down the hallway, trying to avoid as much human contact as possible . I passed a few red servants , they kept their heads down and shoulders slumped as they scurried to their tasks . We are all so much alike, us reds, we are all broken and beaten down by years of degration and enslavement . As I climb into my bed I think about what could've been , if I hadn't feel into that electric area a year ago . Green eyed pickpocket children with growling bellies and a fisherman husband who spent all he had to support them and his pickpocket wife .

A life of poverty yes , but a life of happiness as well . My mind shifted to kilorn , he was once my best friend now he was just a memory from my long lost past . I suppose that he's doing well now that he wasn't being hunted down constantly by an obsessive King . I pitied the boy who feel in love with a no good thief , a thief who was bested at her own game and had her heart stolen by a pair of blue eyes that shielded a black soul . A single tear slid don my cheek as I heard the door behind me open , I don't bother to look at who was at the door because I already knew who it was . "Mare." A soft voice said . I laid silently on the bed with my eyes closed with the pain of my heart breaking in half .

"Mare ." He said again now , sounding aggravated . I turned to him not caring enough to hide the tears and pain visible in my eyes . For a moment he looks sad , as if he felt bad for what he had done to me , but only for a moment . " You've left me no choice , if your moping over my actions yesterday ." His cold eyes burning into mine as he fluently talked . " You a-always had a c- choice Mave-n ." I stuttered through tears . He laughed coolly . "I suppose your right , I guess I just needed to prove something ." I glanced down not being able to look at such a sick person in the eyes . " you needed to prove that I was nothing ." I said more to myself then him . He sat down next to me and gently took my chin in his hands, I didn't fight back , I was too tired . I was so tired . "No , your not nothing ." He murmured to himself . "Your something , I just can't put my finger on what ."

" I'm giving you a choice Mare." He said looking past me "I know you haven't been given many of those in your life ." His voice dripping in pity. " What? " I question . He nervously clears his throat . " You will give yourself to me and me alone , your mind body and soul , you will be my lover , my wife , my prize . You'll be my red queen ." The words send shivers down my spine . " No one will know of course , you'll merely be my prized possession , silent and hidden from sight . " my stomach twisted at the word possession . " No ." I firmly state . "No one will ever own me . " he cackles cruelly at my words . " You haven't even heard my other option yet darling ." He smugly states . "I don't care , you will never have me after every vile , sick thing you have done ."
He glowers down upon me his face contorts with anger . "Very well. " he says Solemnly .

He stands up and walks to the door slowly. Out of no where he turns and runs my way , jumping on me. I scream as he pins me to the floor , pulling out a cruel looking blade . I close my eyes in anticipation for the embrace of death but it never comes . Instead I feel a sharp pain in my arm and I let out an animalistic cry . He stabs both my arms , followed by both my legs Immobilizing me . Pain takes over my senses as I feel myself being lifted off the ground . My eyes go black and I await for hell to arise when they open again once more .

I wake up in a cold dark cell. The silent stone bars mockingly around me . I hear water drip into a pool on the floor and I glance down to see rats drinking from it . A few feet away from me their is a bowl of water and food on the floor . Realizing I'm parched I try to slide my way towards them , pain aching in my limbs . A collar chokes me as the chain attached to it tries to resist my weak movements . Well it can't get worse than this , think to myself . Oh trust me darling it can . I freeze recognizing the presence of someone in my head . Two shiny boots appear in front of me sending a shiver down my spine . I look up to see the face of Samson Merandaus . The dead queens brother . The butcher of minds . I feel regret travel through me , regret about not hearing the other choice , a choice that would lead a life of misery far beyond comprehension . A misery that makes you crave even the Devils , burning embrace .