Ch. 7

My door bangs open at 9 a.m. I turn towards the door from the makeshift bed I made on the floor to glare at Truex. "And just like that." I say snapping my fingers together. "You killed the part of me that was starting to like you." I state, sadly. He smirks as he walks over to the bed, lifting up the mattress and leaning it against the wall. Seconds later two big guys carry in a new mattress. I watch in silence, too confused and hungover for it to register in my cloudy mind.

"How do you feel about me now?" Truex asks, as they cut away the plastic covering the bed.

"Depends how comfortable it is." I reply, still groggy.

Truex signs his name on the clipboard and tips them, thanking the guys before they leave with the old mattress. He bends down and picks me up still surrounded by my blankets and tosses me gently onto the bed. Tightening the blankets around me I shift against the bed, its a comfy mattress. "We're cool." I tell him.

"This mattress comes with a catch." He states, sitting down on the bed.

Ugh. "Really?" I ask, knowing I won't like this new development.

"I have an awards thing next week. I need you to go with me."

I uncover my face to look at him, stunned. "What?" I ask. "You're not that ugly! Get a real date." He starts to push me off the bed. "No!" I yell, grabbing for something to hang onto and finding nothing. "Fine! I'll go." I agree, an inch from being pushed off.

"What the hell kind of award are you getting? Is this like the 'Sexyist Man Alive' thing? Because I assure you, your mom was responsible for at least eighty percent of the votes you got." His eyes narrow angrily at me, making me laugh, "She framed it and everything, even sent your sister and me a copy. That reminds me, I need you to sign mine." I state, seriously. Sitting up I take it out of the nightstand and hand it to him. "Make it out to Becca, I want to see how much she'd pay me for it."

"She really sent you this?" He inquires, slightly amused.

"No, she sent 10 to Mya and I stole one." I admit.

"Why?"

"So, I can look at it at night and touch myself." I joke, wiggling my eyebrows at his always serious face."When is this thing exactly?" I question, when I don't a reaction from him.

"Wednesday, but we're leaving Tuesday and we'll be back Friday, maybe Saturday." He answers.

"Where is it at?" I question, not realizing we were actually going somewhere to stay.

"New York."

"For what!?" I shout. He looks at me like I'm stupid. "Well, what kind of award takes four-maybe five days to get?"

"I'm flying my mom out too. Mya wants to look at wedding dresses somewhere in the city."

"Oh, that'll be fun. Your mom is a riot." I smile, mischievously.

"Don't do that." He orders, shaking his head.

I chuckle, "What?" I ask, innocently.

"You're going to take everything she says and use it against me."

My mouth drops in shock. "Tootle-Bear! I would never." I reply, using his mothers nickname for him.

He groans and I start to laugh. When he pushes me off the bed I land with an thud but keep laughing.

Monday

"What are you going to wear?" Mya, asks as she watches me pack.

"My normal stuff." I answer. Bored with packing I zip the suitcase I borrowed from her closed.

"Are you done?" She asks, sitting up concerned.

"Its only four days." I remind her, rolling my eyes at her impeding freak out.

"What about the ESPY's?"

"What is that?" I question, unsure."The wedding dress store?" I question, confused by her reaction. She's never seemed to care what I wore shopping before.

"The award show. Truex, said he's taking you." She replies, exasperated.

"I have to dress up for that?"

She gives me a duh, look. "Yes!"

"He didn't tell me that, or I would've never agreed! TRUEX!" I shout. Just as I'm about to get up and find him, he wanders silently into the room. "What the hell? Could've told me I needed a dress for your thing."

"You don't need a dress." He states, simply.

"Mya! You had me freaking out." I scold, feeling relieved.

"Yes, she does!" Mya, argues.

"I got her a dress." He responds, leaving the room.

He got me a dress. Thank God for that. "Wait, what?" I ask, but he ignores me and keeps walking away.

I turn to Mya, "He is so weird."

Truex Marshall

    Yes, I bought her a dress. It was a lot easier telling her, than it was buying the damn thing. I knew she'd need one and when I saw the dress I instantly knew she'd look perfect in it and perfect at my side. However, describing her figure was awkward and frustrating. "Normal size," should be a term used when buying clothes. Luckily, I remembered the fitting for the bridesmaid dress and called the store. They gave me her measurements and shoe size. The sales lady picked out jewelry and a handbag to go with the dress, making that the only easy part of my trip.

    I know I'm nominated for a couple different awards. I never cared if I won before. But this time it'd be embarrassing not to win with Briar there with me. For the first time I'm looking forward to the awards ceremony. My usually dull experience, sitting quietly at the table filled with other athletes will be infinitely more interesting with her.

Mya gives me a strange look as she comes into the gym, I can only assume its about Briar. "Let me get this straight. You personally seen to buying Briar a dress for this event?" She asks, in disbelief.

"Yes." I answer, continuing to do my set of bench presses.

I ignore her stare easily, knowing she wants to talk about it but refusing to engage. Minutes later she gives up. "Can I ask you something?"

"If I said, no. Would it stop you?" I ask.

"Why her?"

I shrug. "It is what it is."

She shakes her head, not happy with my response."I'm just curious. Out of everyone, you pick the only girl you have absolutely nothing in common with. Granted, shes pretty, smart and funny but there are a lot of woman that have those same qualities and still know what a touchdown is."

"But they're not her."

She hesitates before she continues. "You should know that I don't want to have this conversation with you. Frankly, I get grossed out even thinking about it. However, Briar is tricky when it comes to guys. I've literally never seen her out with a man who wasn't just a friend."

"Your point?" I ask, irritated she's bring up Briar out with other guys.

"My point is you're in the friend zone, same as all the guys before you. She doesn't want a steady boyfriend and as far as I know she's still a virgin. So, you should think long and hard-ugh!...bad choice of words." She mutters, before continuing. "...before you put in the effort. She won't be easy to win over, in fact it might be impossible." She states, sympathetically.

What part of that speech was supposed to deter me? "If anything you just made me want her more." I tell her, honestly before continuing my workout.