Giving In

*After School*

"Hey Farkle!" I said as I opened the door.

"Hey." He said walking in. We walked to my room. I hadn't been in there since this morning and I have been dreading it. I wanted to cry looking at the bay window...thinking of Maya. Why did I do this.

"So, why did you want to come over?" I asked.

"I wanted to talk anout Maya and Lucas." He said and at the mention of their names I fell to the ground bawling. I had been holding this in all day. The thought of losing Maya and Lucas forever, screaming in my head.

"Riley!" Farkle yelled leaning down next to me. "Hey, I got you...its okay." He said, putting his arms around me. I melted into him. The familier warmth of his embrace comforting. Farkle was always a great friend, always there when you needed him. He held onto me as I cryed. Letting all of what I held in out.

"You aren't okay, are you?" He asked and I shook my head. "Why did you fake it?"

"Because. I have to be strong. I can't let him win. I can't show him what he's done to me...."

"You've been faking it for a while now." He stated and I couldn't deny it. It felt njce to tell someone.

"I...I haven't been happy for a while. I just couldnt find the sunshine."

"I hope you do Riley. And if you can't. I will be there to help guide you to it."

"Why? Why are you always so good to me?"

"Becuase you're my sunshine, Riley, amd I will always be here. You're my friend, and I won't ever let that change."

*Farkle's POV (1 Week Later)*

I walked into the classroom and saw Riley talking to someone. She looked so happy, but I knew the truth. It pained me to see her this way. Riley is my best friend, I don't like seeing her miserable, but right now I wish she would be. I dont understand why she had to act all happy.

"Hey Farkle!" Riley said when she noticed me walking in.

"Hey, Riley." I said and she turned back to her conversation. As I walked back I saw Lucas. I had the half the mind to take him outside and have a talk with him. I haven't talked to him since the party, not having any words to say. But with each passing day, I come up with different ways to make him feel horrible.

I sat down and put my book on my desk and looked back at Lucas, wanting to give him a dirty look, but he wasn't paying attention. I looked to where he was staring and my eyes locked on Riley. I looked back to Lucas, his face was gloomy. Something wasn't right. Lucas dumped here with no heart for Missy, why would he be staring at Riley, longing for her?

I looked over to Zay, and he shook his head. I turned around, pretending it never happend, I would deal with it later. That's when I saw Maya walk in. Riley stopped here conversation to see who has walked in, and froze at the sight of her best friend. They hadn't talked since the fight, it has just been looks like those.

Maya and Lucas and Zay had been hanging out, and I hung out with both girls seperately. I didn't like what our group has become. We had chosen sides in this breakup. We were supposed to be forever. I had to fix this. I couldn't let us drift apart.

Maya then walked back to her desk and Riley looked up to Mr. Matthews as the bell rang.

"Okay. What is going on with you guys? Its been like this for a week." Mr. Matthews asked us. No one responded, not having the want to explain it. He then looked to me. "Farkle?"

"I got it, Mr. Matthews." I said and they all looked at me, questioning. I ignored them.

"Good. Fix it."

"I will." I said and they all turned forward, looking down at their desks. None of them liked this either, I know it, but they're too scared to fix it, to talk to each other.

***

The bell rang and everyone packed up their stuff and left. I looked back and stopped Lucas.

"Wait, I wanna to talk to you." I said as I put a hamd on his chest. Zay saw me and stopped. "You can go."

"No. I'm staying." He said.

"Fine." I said. "Can we talk in the hallway?"

"Why, you haven't spoken to me since the party." Lucas said.

"I know. That's what I wanna to talk to you about."

"Fine." He said and we left into the hallway and found the closest bathroom and went in.

"Why? Why?!" I said as soon as we got in their.

"Farkle...." Zay warned.

"It's fine, Zay, he deserves to know, he's Riley's friend too." Lucas said.

"So?? Why? Why did you do it? Why did you break up with her for Missy?!" I said, backing up to the wall. I didn't know I had this much anger for Lucas.

"I didn't." Was all Lucas said.

"What?" I asked as I loosening my grip.

"I didn't break up with her for Missy." He said and I looked even more confused. "Missy threatened Riley if I didn't break up with her. It killed me, but it was better than what she would have done to her."

"You destroyed her!!"

"No, I didn't, she's moved on."

"No. She hasn't, she's pretending to happy around you and Maya. She doesn't want you to see that you hurt."

"Seriously?"

"Yes."

"Oh...I didn't know I hurt her so much."

"Look. I forgive you. And Riley will too, one day, just give her time. Right now, I have to get to class and get Riley and Maya talking again."