7

Sunlight streamed through the stables as I un-rugged Sterling, my Arabian. It was a light rug just to keep his shine, nothing heavy in the LA heat. A few other horses neighed as I feed him breakfast.

"What are we going to do Ster?" Yes I talk to my horse, he listens and doesn't talk back. He kept all my secrets "Mrs Callun is definitely selling this place, where will we go?" The stables were on prime real estate and an investor had finally made an offer too good to be true.

"Alice says I will have to think about selling you" I grab my bottom lip to stop it quivering, making myself more upset and Sterling nuzzles my side, pushing me slightly wanting my teary eyed attention, he stops and lays his head on my shoulder. "You know don't you, my man" I've exhausted my search for vacate stables and land within a 30 mile radius nothing was available, no stables to house my baby.

"I'll keep looking, we have a month, that should be enough time to sort something-right?" Trying to convince myself is the best I can do lately. That and posting wanted notices in service station windows and on local shop walls. Sterling neighs as I leave his side and lock him into his day yard. "I'll come for a ride later fella"

As I stroll through the complex I can't help looking over the ten other horses that have to relocate along with Sterling. We are all in the same boat, some more tears fall and I have to gather myself before hitting the sidewalk and the making the walk back home.

Swinging the wrought iron outer gate closed, I turn when I hear a car pull up behind me. A big Lincoln sedan sits at the kerb and John's driver steps out from behind the steering wheel and approaches the stables, meeting me at the gate. Wiping my tears away with my thumbs he seems embarrassed that he has caught me at an emotional time.

"Mr L asked me to pass this along to you.... I'll be in the car" The burly man slips back behind the wheel and waits patiently as I scan the note.

Beth,

Sorry 'bout the drunkard last night.

Can you come with Dan to mine I need your opinion on something.

Sober,

JL

Ps. Alice is ok to open the damn bar!

PPs. I asked him!

I opened the front door of the Lincoln and climbed in, Dan giving me a quizzical look, nodding he started the car and pulled away, I guess I'm going to John's.

Ten minutes of traffic and then suburbs along the coast and we arrived, not that far from the bar at all. I watched the houses get bigger and set further back on the properties til high fences and gates took over the view, a gate of brown timber edged by steel sat in front of the Lincoln then Dan pressed the 'magic' numbers and it slid silently open. We drove into, and down the driveway, a bungalow coming into view after being well hidden among palms and tropical plants.

Dan parked and I slowly stepped out, the place was huge and very beautiful, more building were lost behind even more palms and shrubbery set further back, nearly out of sight. John's driver disappeared and I was left alone to glance around.

"Morning Beth" He wandered out not a hangover in sight, just a smile and a fag ready to be lit. Jeans and white T fitted his lean body and I remembered his fingers touching my skin. The thought of his hands on me, creeping under my shirt, making me blush under his gaze.

"You requested my presence" I bowed and scraped recovering from my girly blush, making him snigger and walk closer as I played about. His swagger was as cool as he was. Casually he threw his arm over my shoulder and turned me around to walk further down the driveway away from the main house. "What, no coffee or bagel?"