chapter 40

chapter 40 majestic lands

Her two passengers nodded in agreement and climbed onto the dragon. Once they were situated and ready, the dragon found a good spot to leap from and took off, spreading her wings in flight. She flew higher and higher until she was clear of any large trees or mountain rocks. She went far up into the clouds dodging any silver sparrows as well as other exotic birds native to these woods. Pandora looked down at the land below as they past over forest terrain and a few small villages. She loved the view from way up here, it was majestic. Then as they flew over forest after forest she felt a little strange. She waited another twenty minutes to see if the feeling would subside, but it didn't.

"Salem, something isn't right." She admitted to him.

"What's the matter?"

"I feel kind of strange, almost disoriented."

"When did this feeling begin?" He asked.

"As soon as we began flying over this forest."

"This is a very strange forest."

"Whatever do you mean?" She asked bewildered.

"This forest is called the land of confusion, it's protected by an enchantment."

"That makes some sense, I think." She replied.

"Yes it does. Don't worry, when we get through this forest the strange feeling will be gone."

"Are you telling me the forest is making me feel this way?" She asked him.

"Yes, it is." he told her.

After another forty five minutes in the air they had finally gotten past the land of confusion and the warlock had been correct. Pandora felt like her usual old self again. She looked straight ahead as they passed a few more villages and another small town. She couldn't believe how far they had traveled in the last few days. It seemed like they had been traveling for most of an eternity. It showed her just how much the warlock and his dragon truly cared about her. She felt completley loved by the two of them.

"Dragon you are doing a great job. I think we may make it home sooner than I anticipated." Salem encouraged her.

" Well, thank the dragon spirits for that one." She replied.

"How soon do you think we'll get back?" Pandora asked him.

"I think with luck we may get back sometime tomorrow afternoon." He told the sorceress.

"You really think so?" She asked in disbelief.

"Yes, possibly earlier but I don't want to get my hopes up." He admitted.

"It'll be nice to get back. Thank you again for coming to my rescue."

"You're worth it, just try not to get kidnapped again for a while." He teased.

"I'll do my best."

"Will you still stay with us for a few days? It will ease my mind knowing you are safe with us." He asked.

"I'd be more than happy to do so." She replied to him.

The late afternoon began to fade into the evening, he could tell they were getting much closer to their home. He tried not to show his excitement, but it was hard to contain it. It felt like a lifetime since he'd seen his home. He was sure the dragon probably felt the same way.

"Kadrid are you doing okay?" Salem asked his winged friend.

"Yes, I'm fine."

"You don't need to take a break?" He asked her.

"I can keep going." She told him.

"Just let me know."

"I will. I think I remember this area, a little." She responded to him.

"Maybe you flew over this area on a trip long ago." He advised.

"It could be that we walked through it the first time."

" Maybe we did." He replied.

Salem fell silent, letting the dragon have her fun. As they flew the land became more and more familar to them. After another hour of flying the sun had begun to set for the night. Once the moon had risen, the dragon spoke up.

"Warlock, I think I had better land us soon."

"Whenever you wish is fine with me."

It took her a few minutes before finding a good place to land them and her her two companions climbed down swiftly. The dragon had covered quite a long way of the journey before it had gotten dark. Kadrid was so exhausted she slept right where she landed them. As the other two walked around Salem went over a few feet to the left to get a closer look at a strange tree. He hadn't noticed it before now.

"Pandora what kind of tree is this?" He asked, hoping she might know it.

"Oh wow, I haven't seen one of those since I was a little girl." she told him.

"Do you remember what it's called?" He asked, admiring the large oval shaped, plum colored leaves accompanied by it's blue fruit.

"Yes, It's called an indigo fruit tree." She told him.

"Is it poision?"

"No, they're very good when they are ripe."

"Are they ripe now?"

"Not yet, I think they ripen after the next moon."

"We should probably rest soon, besides I don't want to stray too far from the dragon this time." He admitted to her.

"That sounds good to me." She replied, getting comfortable near the tree and he joined her.

They slept soundly near the tree for the rest of the night, the exhaustion had taken it's toll on the two of them as well as the dragon. Neither of them stirred until the next morning, when they had felt something nudge them awake. Pandora leaped up, startled by the nudge of her good friend.