chapter 30

"I know you have a lot of reasons to hate your father, but there are a lot of reasons not to." Braydin told him flat out.

"Give me one reason why I shouldn't hate every fiber of his being?" Salem snapped at him.

"Your father has helped a lot of creatures like me escape eternal damnation."

"He was never there for me, ever." Roared the warlock.

"He has his reasons." Braydin shot back.

"Do you know that for a fact?"

"No but maybe you should ask him when we get there." He pointed out.

The warlock said nothing, just simply rolled his eyes in disgust. He followed along with the others as the demonic pain the butt led them down a long and winding pathway. The only hope he had was the sooner they got going the sooner he could end this little nightmare. Then he could be done with this little side adventure and go back home with his sorceress and his faithful dragon. Then he smiled, remembering the most important part of this quest had been completed, he had Pandora and she was safe with him now. That was all that really mattered to him. He walked in between the demon and his sorceress with the dragon safely a few feet behind them. Salem had a hold of Pandora's hand. He hadn't realized how much he missed just being able to touch her again.

"I really missed you. I'm so glad that you are with me and safe now."

"I missed you too. Don't worry, he kidnapped me but he didn't ever hurt me, not once." She told him with a soft look.

"I'm glad to hear that." He commented.

He just looked at her as they walked on. She made every step of this whole ordeal worth it. FAor her he would do it all over again if he needed to. He would do anything to protect her.

"When this is all over will you stay with me for a few days?" He asked.

"I'd like nothing more." She replied. The two of them walked next to each other as though they were the only creatures in the known universe.

The demon did his best not to vomit from the foul stench of love radiating from the warlock and the sorceress.

"I hate to bother everyone but could we take a short rest?" The dragon asked.

"If you need to rest it would be perfectly fine. I think we could all use one." Braydin replied.

"Thank you, for a demon hybrid you really seem like a nice guy."

"That is very kind of you." He replied as he sat a few feet from her.

Then suddenly the half demon curled into a ball and began to glow and changed until he had used his shape shifting abilities to turn himself into a medium sized indigo blue dragon.

"I don't shape shift very often, but i thought you might like it." He admitted to her.

"Yes, I do like it. How long can you stay like that?" She asked, her eyes lighting up.

"Three days at the most, then I'll shift back."

"Why did you choose to be a dragon?"

"I'm quite fond of dragons." He told her with a wink.

Salem over heard the shifter and flashed him a dead cold stare of anger.

Braydin just gave him a smile, a large vindictive grin. Salem's anger began to boil like a heated cauldron, until Pandora grabbed his shoulder.

"Remember there is a truce." She reminded him.

"Yes but only for so long." He replied with fire in his eyes.

The way he said it almost scared her, but she understood why he felt such animosity toward the half demon. She hoped that his anger would subside before this was over, but the sorceress had a feeling it probably wouldn't. She wanted to make up for lost time with him, not worry about his rising anger over the half demon. Snuggling closer to him she wanted to take advantage of a few minutes in his arms.She knew they wouldn't rest for too long, she too wanted to get this quest completed and go home with him. Her happiest moments had been when he had been around.She enjoyed just being near him.

"Are you well rested?" Braydin asked Kadrid.

"Yes thank you for your kindness."

"Think nothing of it. I shall not have such a lovely creature passing out on me." He told her.

"I think we should get moving again." Braydin spoke to the rest of them.

"Yes, let's get going." Salem replied.

The warlock walked with Pandora but not once did he take his eye off of the hybrid demon. No one was going to hurt his baby dragon. He felt compelled to protect the dragon. He loved her too much to let anything happen to her.

Braydin could sense the fear coming from the warlock concerning the dragon. It only fueled his need to spend more time with her. It gave him a rush that he couldn't name. It wasn't the same as hunting down a creature for a good kill, but close. It was like a sport to him. He smiled knowing he had just found a way to entertain himself through this little adventure.

Salem couldn't wait to finish this journey. once it was done, so was that smug little demon's existence. As they walked up hill for the longest time, he did his best to concentrate on Pandora more than anything else. She was an amazing creature. She had been the only one to keep his mind off of his anger and resentment toward the demon shifter. There was something in his soul that called to hers. He really did love her, as much as he loved the dragon. She was like family to him. After the death of his mother he had done the most he could to shut everyone out. Now things were diffrent and so was he. He had never felt quite like this before. After walking another forty miles, Pandora finally asked the question she had been all too curious over.

"Salem, can I ask you something?"

"Sure, what is it?"

"What do you think your father wants from you?"

"I'm not sure and I'm also not sure how I feel about it either."

Pandora nodded, trying to be sensitive and empathetic to his needs. She wanted to make him feel better, but didn't exactly know how. She hoped being there for him helped in some small way.

"To be honest I just want to get this whole ordeal over with so I can be alone with you."

"Me too, I can't wait to go back to your library and work station."

"Why that room?" He askedpuzzled.

"That room and being alone with you makes me feel at home, like I just belong there."

"I really missed our little talks."

"Hey Braydin are we getting close?" She shouted behind Salem and herself.

"This isn't the place you want to draw attention to yourself." He told her flatly.

"There's no one else here." She said a little softer.

"That's what the creatures in this realm want you to think." Explained the half demon, impatience stewing from his voice.

harCru