Chapter 1- Warlock Vampire

Hybrid Magical Creatures

(c) 2016 Jessica minor

                                 In another reality, there lay a magical hidden tower; tucked behind a labyrinth of caves and mountain rocks. It is so intense and complex that most mortals wouldn't survive the journey . That's exactly how the hybrid warlock liked it, free of mortals. He didn't hate them, Salem just thought they were a strange race of beings. 

                  He really didn't understand them, didn't care for a good amount of magical creatures either. This very moment the hybrid warlock was in his dungeon working on a highly sensitive potion. He had a passion for magic that he had inherited from his mother. He came from a long line of warlocks and witches dating back thousands of years. He was more than talented in all ways of magic.

He embraced the warlock side from his mother far more than the vampiric legacy from his father. As he grew older into maturity the curiosity of his father had all but diminished. With training and strict discipline he had learned to suppress the vampire thirst. Salem wasn't an evil or vengeful warlock vampire, he just liked his solitude. He didn't care for the company of others, he wasn't one for boring idle conversation. When he did venture off from his home, it was for needs only.

Salem leaned over his work space ,illuminated with only silver and black candles, ten black and three silver . He always checked his work more than once to clear out any possible screw ups. In his youth, the vampire warlock had a few mishaps when first learning to brew potions. It happened to more than a few warlocks. In the school lab he had caused a small chemical explosion. After many years of training, now in the present day Salem could conjure anything in his sleep if he wished it so. He was a very powerful warlock and like most other warlocks and witches he had a familiar.

Her name was Kadrid, it seemed to fit her quite well. She was a very young small dragon of thirty years old. Her eyes sparkled with the color of diamonds. Her scales were a dark velvet purple, very rare for her kind. Kadrid had three spikes at the end of her medium sized tail. She really liked being his familiar. He treated her like a member of the family, keeping her well fed and happy. She in return for such pampering would do his bidding no matter what or when. It seemed to be a good arrangement for them. She was a good natured soul eager to do as he asked. Kadrid loved her warlock much like a child loves their mother and father.

                           Salem also thought very highly of his friend the dragon. He enjoyed her company more than he ever would have imagined. They were good for each other. He smiled for a long moment recalling the memory of when he found her out in the woods years ago. She was considered a baby then. He didn't know why but he brought her home and cared for her. It has been that way ever since that late afternoon walk. He refocused his thoughts to the concoction he was presently working on.

 After taking a deep breath he carefully added the last ingredient. He then placed it in a bottle and sealed it. He set it on the small wooden work table next to him. Then he grabbed his emerald talisman and called on Kadrid with it. He didn't have to wait for long. His dragon usually wasn't late when he needed her for things. Once she had landed safely the warlock stroked her ears much like a human would with a cat. The dragon just looked at him, and he understood she was ready for her task.

"All right young one, take this potion to the Spirit Empire." He instructed the dragon.

She nodded to him before she flew off into the vast indigo and light blue skies. The spirit empire was several towns away. It would take a standard sized dragon three days to get there. Kadrid was a fast flier, she could do it in two. Even for her youthful age Kadrid was a very determined little dragon. She flew fast and free diving in and out of the clouds. It was her favorite part about flying. It made her feel at peace with the world. She really loved it.

Meanwhile back at the tower dungeon, Salem had complete faith in his little dragon to get the potion to the spirit empire. He headed back to his work room in the dungeon, he needed to make a few notes in his spell book, as well as check to see if he needed to stock up on any potions or ingredients for his magical workings. He always felt a great sense of comfort in his dungeon. He kept all of his important work there, candles books, trinkets and the majority of his magical supplies were in this room.

              It had become his sanctuary. He finished up with his magical notes and an inventory of his potions. Then the warlock vampire settled in for the evening with his favorite dark red gothic style arm chair, a glass of goblin ale and a good book. He had gotten very comfortable sipping at the potent drink as he read through the most famous troll battles in history. He sipped through two glasses, eventually passing out after the third chapter .He slept that way slumped forward until the enormous leather bound book hit the floor with a thud that made a loud echo through the concrete dungeon walls. He jolted upright, jerking his mind back to his reality. He stretched a moment before dragging his exhausted body back to his bed chambers for the rest of the night for a good long sleep. He slept until late afternoon, it was anything but a peaceful slumber.

Just like when he was a boy, the nightmares came and went. He hadn't been a boy for a very long time. These nightmares weren't that frequent once every three or four moon cycles at most. They were average dreams, being imprisoned in a strange place, or lost. On occasion he was falling to his death, but everyone has that dream. Half awake Salem leaned under his bed for his nightmare book and began scribbling down the current nightmare.

              He quickly jotted down the last sentence and set the book aside, He slowly got up and headed for his small kitchen. He needed to brew a cup of elven coffee. He had a cup every morning. He waited only a few minutes as it finished brewing. It wasn't like mortal coffee, this stuff would make espresso  like water. It had the strength to wake the dead. He knew from experience to sip it slowly or you'll vomit all over the place. The elf that sold it to him gave him a warning not to slam it so he did out of disbelief. It made him so sick he never did it again. From then on he made sure to sip it slowly.

Once he finished the elven drink,  heading for his favorite chair and  extensive book collection. There were thousands to chose from. It took him a while to pick one, there were several he enjoyed reading over. There were more than a few occasions where he would take a fresh mug of elven coffee and a pile of books and stay there for days at a time.

                     Once in a while he wondered if his soul was attached to this part of the dungeon. After a long search through his larger book shelf he found a few,the more rare books. He grabbed a few of them. One was the family's ancestral spell books, They had a lot of spells, reincarnation and family magic through the ages.

//Cru

thank you so much for reading

thank you so much for reading.. Salem was one of my most favorite creatures to create. please vote comment and share... leave a link to your book in the comments and I'll read it ...