Chapter 2

The warlock hybrid enjoyed his dungeon and solitude. He had a nice quiet life for the most part. Kadrid was one of the few creatures that understood and respected that about him. If he loved any other creature it was his dragon. She was more than his friend,  like his child, not just an enchanting young dragon. Soon he began to wonder about her safe return from the spirit empire. She was a big girl and could handle it, he knew that with certainty. 

He knew she would return anytime. He cared for her a great deal and her safety especially when he sent her out to do his bidding. He looked out for her and in turn she would guard their home. He sat there in his favorite chair reading through the ancestral book, then a gigantic sized alchemy book. When he read the last page he heard a familiar sounding thump, as Kadrid landed just outside of their tower. He set the book down and stood with a smile, waiting for her to get inside. He stood for a few minutes, by then his dragon had walked in with a look of exhaustion.

"There you are. I was getting worried." Salem told her with a wink.

"I'm not a two year old anymore,   you know." Blurted out his  friend.

"I know that you are a big dragon and can take care of yourself but I will still worry." He replied with a caressing tone.

"You don't need to worry over me but it's nice that you do." She replied in a humble tone.

He hugged her for a long moment, just glad to know she was back without any casualties. He worried for her, only because he cared for her more than his own. He enjoyed her company even if it was in silence or deep in a theoretical conversation under the stars. When he let go of her, she asked the usual question after a long task like this one.

"Do you require anything else, warlock?"

"No, that was all. You've done well my friend. Go on and have a little fun." He told her with a softness she'd grown fond of over the years. She in return nodded goodbye to him and took off.

Salem didn't know exactly where she went when she flew off, but he had to let her experience life, even if it made him a nervous wreck. He would never forgive himself if something happened to her. He loved her too much. It was a comfort to him that she would check in with him usually on a daily basis. As kadrid was off spreading her wings, the warlock headed for his laboratory to work on stocking up a few of his most useful potions.

             He gathered up everything he needed to brew the potion. He double checked and noticed the potion called for nocturnal fairy dust. It wasn't the easiest item to obtain. He needed to see if one of the local shopkeepers had any of it. If not the only other way was to find a nocturnal fairy, a near impossible task for any warlock even a good one. He was going to have to leave the sanctuary of his beloved dungeon room. It was very late afternoon, if he got moving the warlock vampire could get back just after dusk.

"Damned by my cursed fate." Salem spoke to an empty cobblestone dungeon. He loathed having to go to the village, even though in the village he knew how to fake being mister sociable. He hated leaving for errands. He really didn't care for crowds of villagers. Without dwelling on it any longer he grabbed a few things and headed for the journey, hoping to make it quick and painless. He hurried out of his dungeon and through the tower. 

The sooner he got going the better. As he passed by the majestic waterfall, he noticed it was rather quiet in the forest. He found that to be a little odd. Brushing off the feeling that something wasn't right he continued on ward for the village. He walked a quick pace through the forest hoping to get this over with. He looked to the skies for a moment, he heard something. Then out of the corner of his eye he saw the bird in it's nest half way up a large birch tree. It was a hybrid too.