On The Road

As they walk, Sally's still thinking of her Dad. How could he leave her daughters, her own daughters alone in the middle of woods? Does he know that they could've died? Did he realize that? The more she thinks about that, the faster she walks and almost sprint. Jenny could catch her up but it would waste her energy. "Sally," Jenny yelled. "Slow down!"

    She started to feel tired as if her legs would come out of her body and started tumble down. Sally looked over her shoulders and slowing her steps down when she realize Jenny was a few feet left behind from her.

    "Why are you walking so fast?" asked Jenny when she walked beside her. She didn't answer and keep walking.

    "Don't worry. Dad will find us. He must be looking for us." Jenny said as if she was reading her mind. Sally just smiled at her but she feels sad and angry at the same time.

    They walked for another hour when Jenny called Sally's name. "Sally," Her voice was softer than before. "Yeah?" Jenny's head was looking down as she walked, looking her legs that made every step forward in her dirty shoes. "What is it, Jenny?"

    "Do you remember what happened that night?" Sally tried to remember which the night she meant about.

    "When?" But she didn't know idea. Jenny looked at her and thought maybe she didn't remember. "You mean the night when Mom and Dad were fighting?" suddenly Sally remembered. She looked at her. Jenny's hair was mess up and sweaty. "I don't remember much" she lied. It would be hard for 10 years old girl to hear her own parents fight and know the truth. "It doesn't matter now."

    "I just want to know." Jenny's insisted.

    Sally drifted her eyes from Jenny to the sky. She didn't really see the sky. The trees were too shade that she could only see a little of white cloud up above. "Don't worry about it. Everything's going to be fine." She said, touching her head softly. She actually didn't care about adult conversation even if she remembered all the conversation that night. She never does. she thought that it was boring. Moreover, that night, she didn't really know what they were talking about She only heard a word or two about Clyde and divorce that makes her unable to tell Jenny. But she never really knows what the exact problem is.

 But she never really knows what the exact problem is

    The night was coming and the moon bright as the sun in the daylight. Bright enough to light the dark creepy pine forest. The night creatures and insects woke up and started their night activities. They were still walking and their food and water are almost out. "Just one last bottle," Sally said, holding a full water bottle in her hand. She's shared it with Jenny. "Let's camp here," Sally said when she saw an open patch between the trees. The air didn't feel cold anymore but didn't get warm either. It feels mild but hot for Sally and Jenny that they opened their jackets as if they were in a big open meadow in the summer with the wind blow.

    At midnight, they were still wake up. They both can't sleep because the forest was too loud by the sound of night birds, insects and everything else. They didn't talk each other but they were still hoping there's some miracle comes to them that can save them from there, which is done.

    Sally's phone vibrated again. The dim light was running to a low light. She can barely see it but she saw the battery's notification that was only 7% percent left and one bar of signal.

    Her eyes were wide open and her mind was running a text, like on the TV news shows, "Finally, I can call someone." Jenny looked at her. "What is it?" She didn't answer. She was excited. "Is it dead?"
    "No, I've got a bar." Jenny sat straight and spreads a smile all over her face and thought that she has to call her dad.

    "Call daddy," she yelled. "What?"

    "Call daddy and tell him to come pick us."

    "No, I don't want to. I'm going to call Mom and come to pick us."
    "Don't! Call Daddy. Let him pick us. Mom doesn't know where we were right now! Give me the phone!" Jenny tried to pick the phone from Sally's hand but Sally said, "No! Dad is not coming, okay?" her voice's raising.

    "He left us here to death, didn't know why, and he will never going back to save us again!"

    "Why are you hate it so much?" Jenny yelled back to her.

    "Because I don't want him anymore. He's a jerk! I just remember what he said that night. He's going divorce Mom! Maybe that's why mom left home!"

    The silence came through like a wave on the ocean brushed the shore. "I'm going Mom and tell her where we are and everything. Whether you like or not." Her voice changed so decisively.

    The dial tone on the phone was ringing couple times before someone with heavy breath answered. "Mom?" she said, waiting for an answer.
    "Sally,"
    "Mom!" she glad it connected. The sound didn't clear as crystal but sometimes did when she move.
    "Sally, honey, are you okay? Where are you? Where's Jenny? Are you hurt?" the heavy breath turns into crying. "I'm okay. Jenny's here with me."

    "Tell where you are right now. I'm worried about you."

    "I don't know where we are. Dad left us in some cabin in the forest." Her mom didn't seem surprised to hear that. She already knows. "Dad hasn't come back. He said he wanted to do something in the town, but until now he didn't come back."

    "I know, sweety. I know everything."

    "How do you know?"

    "Because the police said..." The crying made her speechless that she had to take a deep breath. "Your father is dead."

    Sally didn't believe what was just she heard. "Sally, listen to me. Let me tell Jenny everything about this. You're the one I've told about this. Stay where you are..." Suddenly, there's a weird sound like someone had taken over her phone. "Sally," The sound was more mature and decisively.

    "I'm Nell Dovekey, the Juvenile Officer. I want you to listen to me carefully." Sally didn't say anything, not even breathing. She was still stunned for what she was just heard from her mom. "Do you hear me?"

    "Yes," Sally finally answered.

    "Where are you exactly right now?"

    "I'm..." she was thinking and looking around her. Everything's dark and she can barely see anything.

    "I'm in the middle of the woods. Don't exactly where."

    "Okay, I want you to keep walking and find the way to the Golden Town. There's must be a street direction there. You won't far if you can find it. Take your sister with you."

    "Sure, but..." The phone vibrated again and then silence.

    "Hello? Hello?"