Chapter 3 ~ The end of happiness

~Niall's POV~

I can't get him out of my head. 

The stranger with the warm brown eyes...

I'm still wondering how I could forget to ask for his name. It's the first thing every normal person would do, but then again, I'm not exactly normal. Not at all.

I wonder if he reached his destination already. Or maybe something happened.

"No, Niall. Don't think about it." I tell myself. For some reason, the thought of something happening to the stranger upsets me. But soon enough, my thoughts wonder to him again. And I can't help but ask myself, maybe he's thinking of me too?

~*~

Three days after I last saw him, I get out in the busy part of the again. 

The last days I've been only going out to search for food outside of the shops and restaurants close by.

I just love Spalding. Settling here was a good idea. 

Nothing has gone wrong... yet...

The weather has been getting colder. Not that I care. I'm still walking around in the clothes I was wearing when I ran away. 

I washed them of course. 

Again people are smiling at me when I pass them and saying 'Hi!'. I reply to every single one of them.

Suddenly my eyes fall on a pretty crowded looking pub. I stop walking and look at it.

I really wanna go inside, but I have to save my money, so I can't drink anything. But all the people will make it less noticeable that I'm not drinking anything.

After debating the pros and cons I shrug and decide to go inside. I wanna have some fun this evening, and ever since a long time, that is among people.

From the moment I put one foot inside the pub, a smile lights up my face. The ambiance in this place is wicked. 

People are dancing to the live music. Others are just laughing, talking or clapping on the rhythm of the music. All are drinking and smiling. 

Slowly I make my way through the crowd, making sure that I don't touch anyone with my bare skin. 

Eventually, I reach a corner of the room and stand there, watching the others making fun.

A young couple dancing, a family with two kids laughing.

I wish I had someone, just anyone to enjoy this with me. 

"Hey, young man." A voice suddenly says and when I look next to me, I see an old man smiling at me. He's sitting alone at a table, a beer in his hand. "You look lonely." He adds and I chuckle.

"Well, yeah, I am, but so are you." I point out.

The man smiles and gestures me to sit down at the table with him. I sit down, feeling less lonely immediately.

"So, son. Where are you from?" He asks while sipping his beer and looking at me.

"I'm from Mullingar, in Ireland." I answer him politely with a smile.

"Oh, I've been there. My father used to travel there with my brother and me when we were younger. Beautiful place, shame that I won't ever go there again. They're all dead now. As like me lovely wife." He stops talking and picks his wallet from his pocket. He Shows me a pic of what I assume is him and his wife. "Me lovely Mary. I hope we'll be together soon."