Prologue ~ How it all started

"Congratulations, Maura. You gave birth to a beautiful baby boy." The doctor says while holding up the newborn baby with his hand-shoe clad hands.

Maura smiles proudly and a few tears of happiness leave her eyes. "My beautiful baby." She whispers, looking at the boy. 

His eyes are still closed, but she can see that her son is beautiful. His skin is pale and from the few hairs on top of his head, she can see it's blond. She can tell now already that he's something special.

"Do you have any idea how you want to name him?" The doctor asks while handing the baby to a nurse who starts to clean him and makes sure he's healthy. 

"Niall James Horan." Maura answers.

~*~

Niall has grown up as a great son. He's five now and the kids in school all like him.

He's smart for a boy his age. He already knows how to read and write. His teacher in the kindergarten likes him for that. 

Niall is loved by his parents. They can see he will be a real lady killer when he grows up. The doctor told them he has what many people consider the perfect body. His face is shaped as if it's made by god's hands. His skin is smooth as ice.

His parents are also glad that their youngest son can get along so well with his brother. They're always playing together, until one day, something unimaginable happens.

It's the day Niall turns six. School started a few weeks ago and he was happy to be in the first year of primary school. His parents were glad when the teacher told them Niall would be doing great since he could write and read already.

Never did they expected the call they got on Niall's birthday.

"Hello, Maura speaking." Niall's mum picks up the phone. 

"Maura, this is the headmaster of the school your son is attending. Something happened and you need to come over as soon as possible." Maura recognizes the voice of Headmaster Phillips.

Immediately she starts to panic when she hears the tone he had spoken in. "What happened? Is Niall okay?" She asks.

"Don't worry, Niall is okay, but you have to come here. You won't believe this without seeing it." Mr. Phillips says.

"Okay, I'll be there soon." She says and puts the phone down. In a flash she runs to her car and starts driving to school, breaking a few speed limits on her way there.

When she arrives the headmaster is already waiting for her. Maura turns off the car and runs to him. "What happened. Please say it's nothing severe." 

"Please calm down, Maura. I will show you. If you would follow me please." Mr. Phillips says and starts walking into the school building. 

When they reach the corridor where Niall's classroom is, Maura can see a bit of a crowd has gathered in front of the classroom. People with shocked faces are staring inside. 

"Go in, please." Mr. Phillips says and Maura does, wrestling her way inside the classroom. She gasps loudly when she sees the scene in front of her. 

In the middle of the classroom stands Milow Geerts. He was the kid who just moved to Mullingar and didn't know Niall yet. Niall had mentioned him once or twice to his mother, saying that the boy wasn't really polite to him.

Now, the thing that shocks Maura is that Milow is frozen in place. Literally. His hands are raised as like he's going to push someone. His legs are standing parted a bit, but his whole body is enclosed by ice.