47.

Niccolò's POV.

(I listen to Ed Sheeran when I write his POV and idk why bc Ed Sheeran is a sweetheart and Nic is a prick.)

"Give a little time to me or burn this out,"
~ Give Me Love, Ed Sheeran

*****

Marino took a long, slow drag of his cigarette and blew it out into the night air.

"Thought you were trying to quit," I drawled sarcastically in our native tongue, sitting onto the steps next to him.

He snorted. "I was. Fuck it."

I lit up my own cigarette and inhaled the toxins. Why were the bad things so addictive? Marino looked at me, his eyes squinting. It was something he did when he was thinking. I sighed heavily, already knowing what was on his mind. He'd questioned me about it a million times already, and I understood his apprehension, but it was getting annoying. I was over it.

"You sure you up for this, Nic?"

I blew out the smoke. "Look, we're doing everything else the same. Only difference is she doesn't die yet."

He shook his head. "It was your idea, boss. You were the one who wanted—"

"I know that. I changed my mind."

"People are looking at you, Nic. Everyone is looking at you. You're this close to getting your revenge. He loves that girl. You want to break his heart? You kill her."

"She'll die," I sigh, rubbing my temples. "Just not yet."

"The sooner the better. You know we cannot trust her."

"Her death isn't the only way to go about this."

"Look, I get it." He put out the cigarette and turned to look at me, putting his hand on my shoulder and squeezing. "She's a gorgeous woman. And I got to know her a little bit while you were in Italy, and I get it. She's...she's something. But you can't get attached. You cannot fall for this girl, Niccolò."

I slapped his hand away and stood up. "I'm not fucking falling for her."

"Whatever the case may be." He stood up too and followed me down the path towards my car. "We had a plan. Roman falls for her, and then we take her away from him. We kill her. You kill her. That was it, Nic."

"I don't want her dead yet. Alright? It's my goddamned decision."

"So what are you going to do, huh?" We reached my car. I went to open my door, but he slammed it back shut. "Take her with us? Split the fucking money with her? Don't fuck this up, Nic. She can't have the money. Bitch will ruin—"

In an instant, my cigarette was on the floor and I had him pressed against the door, my forearm against his throat. "You telling me what to do now?"

He tried to reply, but I pressed harder, cutting off his airway.

"I know what the fuck I'm doing. Don't question me again." I let him go. He bent over, coughing. Ignoring him, I climbed into my car, started it up, and drove off.

I was pissed and I had no idea why.

*****

"Niccolò!" She looked surprised to see me. "What are you doing here?"

"I need to ask you something."

"Come in. You want coffee?" Erina stepped aside and let me in. She led me to her kitchen and told me to sit, then looked me over. "Maybe something stronger?"