38.

4 updates in 4 days? ;) I know it's kind of short but my birthday's this Sunday and I'll be busy for the next few days. I'm not sure I'll be able to update next week.

Question: Would you want to do a Q&A with the characters after this story is completed?

"Breath till I evaporate;
my whole body see through..."
~ Nights, Frank Ocean

*****

I plucked the pack of Marlboros off the table and pulled one out, sticking it into my mouth. Without a word, he offered the lighter to me. I leaned forward, allowing him to light the end before backing up and inhaling all the little stick had to offer.

It was silent for a few minutes. I tapped the end, watching the end light up and the ash fall. Then my eyes flickered to him. He looked deep in thought, a slight frown on his face as he stared forward. I took a second to admire him. This man owned more suits than any man I've ever met. And he looked damn good in every one of them.

"You okay?" I finally asked, raising an eyebrow.

His eyes fluttered and he slowly turned his head to look at me. "What?"

My tongue ran across my lips, an attempt to moisten them. "Are you okay?"

He blinked. "Yes."

"You look—"

"I'm fine," he cut in sharply.

"Fine," my voice rose a bit. "Whatever, I don't really care."

Shaking my head, I walked further onto the terrace and leaned against the railing. His eyes were on me, somehow I knew that, but I didn't turn around. I tightened my sweater around myself and exhaled. It was silent for a few minutes,  the only sound to be heard is the lighter as he flicked it open and then shut, open then shut.

"Do you think I'm stupid, Neila?" He finally asked. He spoke so carefully, almost as if he were trying to watch what he said. There was tension, I could detect that almost immediately.

My head turned and our eyes locked. He took one last drag before putting out his cigarette and then stood to his full height. I inhaled sharply, my heart rate increasing as he moved towards me. My eyes raised the closer he got until he was standing over me. His hand lifted, causing me to flinch, but he only cupped my face and made me look at him.

His hands were cold but soft and I could only stand there as he kept a firm grip on me.

"I really hope..." he trailed off and tilted his head to the side, his eyes scanning my face. "I really hope you don't try anything stupid, Neila."

I didn't know how to reply, but he must not have expected one because he pulled away right after saying that and went back inside, leaving me to wonder what the hell it was he thought he knew.

*****

"I think we can help each other."

Milan's voice was low when she spoke and her eyes flittered around the room as if someone were listening in. I raised an eyebrow.

"What are you talking about?"

"Did you know there were cameras in this house?" Her eyes flickered up for the briefest of moments but it was enough for me to turn around. Whatever it was she thought she was seeing was hidden from my line of sight. "In every room. He's watching us."