-7-

I can't get Daisy out of my head. All day at school images flash through my mind – her standing at the skate park, her mugshot, her body parts in a bin bag. I barely notice the sniggers from Courtney and crew following me down the locker lined corridors as they play the Adams Family theme tune on their phones as I pass.

Though I know it's pointless, Daisy is dead and I'm a monster, I keep on thinking about the tattoo parlour listed on the missing person's report. During my final class of the day I find my hand touching the inked flower on my wrist. In my dream I saw a tattoo parlour, and a part of me, however small, is telling me I should go there – I should see if anyone remembers Daisy.

At the end of the day I make my way towards the computer room, I need to waste some time so I can get a later bus home than everyone else. Mum used to pick me up from school but dad said I needed to learn to be more independent. Arsehole. As if he has any idea what I have to go through.

It's empty except for Andrea, queen of the nerds. She nods at me as I pass and I look hurriedly away. In the old days, I wouldn't have been seen dead in a room with her or any of her friends. If Courtney or any of the others saw me talking to her they would have a field day.

I take a seat at the back of the room and log in. Hurriedly I navigate to Google maps then find my fingers lingering over the keyboard. I take a breath and type in Ink Stains. Then I delete it quickly.

What am I doing? Who do I think I am? Some kind of detective?

Pathetic.

I put my head in my hands and close my eyes. The image of the bin bag projects onto the back of my eyelids. I look back up at the screen.

Before I lose my nerve I type it in again. I select public transport, press enter, and watch as a blue line signals the way to the last place Daisy was seen alive. Quickly I click print, my heart thudding against my chest, then close the computer down quickly; dispelling the evidence that for a moment I thought I could do something to help.

I'm making my way to the printer when Rebecca bursts into the room in her combat boots, her white hair braided down her back. She's wearing a baggy Nightwish T-shirt over black jeans and does some kind of weird, nerdy handshake with Andrea before spotting me and sauntering over. My heart sinks.

"What are you doing here, Rigor?"

"I was looking for you."

I hurriedly grab the freshly printed paper and crumple it up into my pocket. Not before she has seen the destination though. She raises an eyebrow.

"You've read the file. Good. You want to go together?"

I suddenly feel embarrassed.

"I'm not going anywhere. I was just...I was just looking...The police can sort it out. Just...just leave me alone."

I turn my back on her and begin to exit the room. I can hear her heavy footsteps following me down the corridor. She catches me up as I exit the building into the school car park. The artificial light from inside cuts into the darkness. I shiver in the biting winter breeze.

"Carter has some Intel on a couple of demons nesting down in one of the abandoned tube stations in Aldwych. We're going to check it out. I thought you might like to join us."

I give her a scathing look.

"Why on earth would you possibly think that?"

Rebecca grins.

"I didn't really. Worth a shot though."

I stop still in my tracks as I see Courtney, Sarah and some of the other girls from my year lingering about the bus stop with a couple of the boys from the football team. Rebecca sees my face.

"Come on, I'll give you a lift."

I look over to her hearse parked on its own in the centre of the concrete. Then I look over to the group of girls, shrieking with laughter by the road.

I nod. I suppose Rebecca is the lesser of two evils.

I hurry into the passenger seat, praying that no-one will see me. Rebecca starts the engine and drives us out onto the road. She honks her horn as we pass the bus stop and I slide down in my seat, trying to make myself invisible. They all stick twos up at us as we speed down the road.

At the end of the street Rebecca steers us the opposite way from my house and I frown.

"Where are you going? I live that way."

"Just need to make a quick pit stop."

I glare at her, my heart sinking.

"Where...?"

I think I know the answer. Her focus remains on the road but I can see the grin she is attempting to supress.

"This is...this is kidnap, you know?"

She laughs.

"Don't be so dramatic. It won't take long – you can stay in the car if you like – I'll make sure you're back in time for dinner."

She turns to me, her eyes glinting.

"We're picking Carter and Jared up, then heading to Aldwych Station. We've got some demons to kill."