•Chapter 2

9:29 am

I had to go through basic training before my mission (some things never change) and I had to take yesterday as a resting day, but the whole time, Captain Philips tried to apologize to me about the argument on the 14th. I told him it was fine but he knew me too well, so he kept bugging me about it. Now, today is the day I go out into the city to look for our 'hero' or at least one of them since Captain Philps said we would need two.

I haven't even left the headquarters to start the mission and I already ready for it to be over so I can take my vacation.

"Agent Stamer, attention." Captain Philips called out. I immediately salute in his direction until he dismisses me to speak. We stand (me in attention him casually with his hands behind his back face to face) in silence until he speaks first. "Are you prepared to leave and start the mission?" he asks.

"Yes sir." I lie, really, I just want to be in bed asleep, worried about finding a way to clear my history from hidden records I had to take care of, as I always do on a day off.

But I can't have nice things can I?...

He sighs and rubs the bridge of his nose, "I really am sorry for using your history against you. I didn't mean it. Jean was giving me a hard time and then you came in and started yelling at me about the assignment and I just snapped and-"

I cut him off saying, "I already told you it's fine. When do I leave?" I asked.

"You depart at 12pm sharp." he looked at me and said, "I really am sorry. I don't like the way you're treating me. You all tense and ... stuff." he said, his cheeks flushing slightly. Did my Captain just... blush?

Ignoring his odd behavior, I reply, "I'm just treating you the way I should have all this time, sir. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to finish getting my equipment together."

"Yes, yes, umm... I'll see you at 12pm sharp then." he stuttered and walked out the door, leaving me in utter confusion and curiosity.

What is going on with the Captain?

°•°•°•°•°•°°•°•°•°•°

11:58 am

I picked up the bag and headed toward the jeep that would drop me off three blocks from Jack's "hot spot" block, but the Captain pulled me aside to talk.

"Umm... Sage, I just wanted to tell you to check-in everyday. I uh don't want anyhing bad to happen to you while you're out there. Uh..." he kept ranting on so I just leaned forward and kissed his cheek, not in a romantic way, but to show him I'm fine, an I will be fine. It seemed for for this moment.

"I'll be fine. Trust me, and I promise to check-in every night if helps you sleep better." I smiled at him, watching relief fill his eyes.

He let out a sigh of relief and looked at me, "Yes, it really would." he said. Before I could walk back to the jeep, Joe had my face in both his hands and was leaning in to kiss me. I didn't know what to do so I just stood still. His lips were smooth against mine. Within a minute he leaned back and leaned his head against my forehead. "I'm sorry, I just needed that one kiss from you before you left. Your missions always seem to last a long while." he said looking in my eyes.

Holy... What the-?!... Holy...!!! ... What just happened with... Holy...! ... Did he just... Oh my...!!! Was what was going on in my head.

Outside my head, I was like, stare... stare... stare... speak..."O- ok... umm... I better go and umm... get in the jeep to get this mission over with... umm... I'll see you when I uh when I get back. Umm bye..." I stutter and practically sprint out of there to avoid anymore awkward situations to take place.